Loss of value with new generations & Windows 7 runtimes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ExnomenDei, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

So, let's say I'm crazy and import a 2.26 MBP from the UK for about 800 pounds (and thus about 888 euros). And let's say that four weeks later, a new generation of MBP's is announced.

What's the expected drop of value (Preferably in % because I'm European) if the next generation is, as expected, an update to the iX processors (and perhaps a switch to 16:9 ala iMac, which I predict personally), some harddrive upgrades and some more RAM for the starter?

Also, what's the expected real-world battery life with about 50% screen brightness, wifi on and just light browsing and text editing, on OSX and Win7 respectively? Apple claims 7 hours, but I've not seen that claim be truthful on the 13", at least not in the reviews dating back to 6/2009 or so. Has Windows 7 given the MBP a chance to get over 6 hours of battery life?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

23.334545677656765545%

and

39.445334344344 (44545544.445) / 4432223223 * 11211222323

3. ExnomenDei thread starter macrumors regular

Uhuh.

Seriously. How much do second-hand prices drop, on average, with the release of a new MBP?

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

There is no answer. Some people can sell ice to Eskimos, others can't sell them fire. There is no formula for this - if you get someone who fell off the turnip truck, you will likely get 90% of what you paid. If you are so concerned about value loss just wait for the new models to arrive.

5. (Kahn) macrumors newbie

I don't think any real research has been done into the areas you're asking about... all you're going to get is anecdotes and guesses. You could take a look at eBay sales closing prices before and after previous refreshes to get an idea. As for battery life... best practice is to take half what the manufacturer claims. But as nikhsub1 said, there is no answer.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Battery life is less under windows. I can get a lot closer to seven hours with osx. Under windows it's closer to half.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's impossible to predict how much a laptop's value will depreciate. If anything, it has to do with the overall desirability of the model in question. The best thing to do is find out what the same model typically closes for on eBay.

However, Apple desktops tend to retain their value better than laptops. For example, 2008 MPs often snag up to 80% of their original value due to their overall desirability over the existing 2009 models. You often won't get as lucky with laptops because they're usually subject to more abuse and general wear/tear than desktops are.