Loss of wi-fi connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayess, Oct 9, 2013.

1. jayess macrumors newbie

A friend has approached me with a problem regarding her Macbook Pro purchased a few months ago and utilising the Mountain Lion operating system. It appears that if the computer is allowed to sleep it does not automatically reconnect with the Wi- Fi router on being reactivated. Every time the computer is reactivated the connection has to be re-established by going to the menulet on the menu bar and clicking on the required Wi-Fi network (note the password does not have to be re-entered). This contrasts with the fact that when the computer is booted up from cold the Wi-Fi comes on and connects with the router automatically as normal. I, personally, do not use Wi-Fi and have no idea if this is normal behaviour. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is a hibernation issue and Apple are aware of it..It's been going on for a while now, and the only fix we have found is to prevent the Mac form hibernating.

This doesn't mean your machine will remain awake..the screen will still go to sleep, it's just a little terminal tweak which is well documented in my thread here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750&highlight=wake+from+sleep+issues

To reverse the process ( assuming that this gets fixed in Mavericks, which so far seems to be the case) just reverse the commands.

We've been running Mavericks through DP7,8 and 9 and the issue seems to have been addressed.

Hope this helps.

3. jayess thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I guess the easiest thing is just not to hibernate and hope for a software update from Apple. I'm not going anywhere near someone else's terminal. What the heck is Mavericks anyway?
    cheers, jayess.