Loss of wireless printer connectivity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lodesman, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

I renewed my printer (after a laudable 10 years using the old one) with a HP Envy 5546 and installation was a breeze.

A week later suddenly no printer connection from my Mac. Despite reinstalling the wireless printer and trying to reset the printer in system preferences I was getting nowhere. My mac would not allow me to download the printer software.

After a bit of hair-tearing I checked my wifi connection (Airport Extreme) on the Mac and, guess what, for some reason my mac had changed its access from my main wifi access to the guest access that I have enabled for visitors. Restoring the mac back to the main router access solved all my problems.

Just shows that checking the simple things first pays dividends !

2. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

If you turn on ask to connect to networks in preferences it will not auto connect to the other network.

I had turn this on in my 2009 macbook as lots of wifi signals at work and it would randomly swap connection as I moved around the premises.

Now it only connects to one all day.

3. Lodesman, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

Thanks for that elf69. Sounds a good idea.

I've removed my guest network from the 'joined' list of networks so that alone will prompt a password request if my mac tries to access it.