Lossless & AAC on iTunes - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lorenwade, Aug 27, 2008.

1. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Some of these questions I know have been answered, I have searched, but I still would like clarification.

To premise, I am receiving my iMac 20" (320 gig hard drive) in the mail tomorrow. What I want to do is put everything on my computer in lossless format, just so I have a good electronic copy. Then I want to transfer to my iPod or other mp3 player as AAC 128 or 160.

I used to use LAME mp3 on my PowerBook (now MIA). Now I'm married and have a wife that is not super computer savvy. So I'd like to do everything through iTunes with the least amount of problems.

1) I know it's possible with scripts, but I seem to recall an iTunes function that allows you to do so without 3rd party scripts/software. Is this true or false?

2) If so, will it do AAC 128 or 160? (As opposed to just mp3?)

3) Is this a good idea? Does anyone have a similar experience with some tips or ideas?

The perfect scenario is to be able to set all of these preferences as default so she can put a CD on the computer, it will put it in lossles and she can transfer to her iPod and automatically convert to AAC so she can have more music on it.

Wow. That was a lot. I apologize and thanks for any help in advance.

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Your best option is one of Doug's AppleScripts, because iTunes only supports transcoding for the iPod shuffle.

3. lorenwade thread starter macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That's what I was afraid of.

I was aware of the script. Can it be set up as a default option? Whenever I transfer music, to transfer/convert AAC?

4. lorenwade thread starter macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Sorry for the double post.

I've also seen some options for two libraries, one lossless, the other as whatever format. It seems cumbersome, and takes up a lot more HD space.

I figure having the entire lobrary as lossless, you can easily convert to the latest format when it changes. I'd rather not burn the entire library into AAC and have a way better version come out or lose support. (I also tend to scratch my CD's, so having them all on my computer as lossless is a plus).

Is this logical thinking, or does someone have a better idea?

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Personally, I'd be tempted to just leave the whole library as lossless, from the point of view of your wife it will make no difference, save for the fact that she'll get fewer songs onto her iPod (which, if she's really not that computer savvy, she won't even notice).

Otherwise, once you've imported your library, in the iTunes Preferences>Advanced>Importing select whatever you'd like, AAC 128, 160, 320 VBR, etc. (all available under the Custom option). Then in the Advanced drop-down list in iTunes, you'll get an option to Covert Selection to X, where X is whatever you've just selected as your default import option. You can then select the tracks you want (your entire library, for example) and covert that to X (without overwriting your originals). Then create a smart playlist or two, filtered by kind, so you've got one playlist for lossless, one for X. Set your iPod to get music from the playlist you want, and you're done.

6. lorenwade thread starter macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I was tempted to do that too, it just seems very cumbersome. It's import to me that she gets more music on her iPod though, and we both have shuffles, so we'll have to make do and figure out what to do when we get the classic.

There's no easy way I suppose. :(

I appreciate the help guys.