Lossless music Imac to AV receiver

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leemkule, Apr 19, 2011.

1. leemkule macrumors newbie

I'm just getting into high quality audio and have ordered myself a set of speakers and an AV receiver. I have tried searching for this but couldn't really come up with a conclusive answer. What are my options for playing music directly from my iMac 27' (late 2009) to my av receiver? I am happy to use wired or non-wired solutions but wouldn't like to buy an AppleTV or anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! The av receiver is the pioneer SC-LX83 if that's of any help.

Thanks!

2. mb21 macrumors newbie

3. leemkule, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've checked out your link/google and it seems that max theoretical distance for one of those cables is 10 metres, the distance from my imac is 13 metres and I can't really make it any closer unless i run it through the middle of the room! Any ideas how I could work around this?

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Move your iMac or receiver 3 meters closer together? :p

There is asynchronous usb audio too, but I wouldn't know if your receiver supports it or not.

5. The Fonze macrumors newbie

Im a big fan of the sonos equipment and am currently building a system to cover my whole house. A single ZP90 would suit your needs but this may be vastly more expensive than your needs seeing that the other guy just suggested a long cable :D

6. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I can't move either of them, the room is kind of odd shaped and my AV receiver is too big to house anywhere else, as is the desk for my imac, damn! Ha, I have no idea what asynchronous usb is either, feel like a bit of an idiot right now! I'll check it out. Thanks!

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

AirPlay with either an AirPort Express or ATV2
    Both have optical outputs and the AirPort also has line out stereo.

Either will be cheaper & better than running fancy audio converters.

I can't see why a TOSLINK cable would have a problem at 15m if that's the route you want to take.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Monoprice sells a variety of toslink optical cables up to 50" in length. Just buy one of those and your problem is solved. Don't worry about the length, the quality of the fiber optics has improved enough to work perfectly.

9. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I was considering the same sort of a situation but it was a 20" iMac and it was more like a distance of 50 feet. I bought an iPod Classic and use it as a digital jukebox. Ideally I would say get the AppleTV since an Airport Express will cost you about the same. If your receiver does allow connection from a USB then you can use the 30 pin doc connector or some of the cool (albeit a little pricey) Apple docks.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This.

Unless you have a problem with iTunes this is the way to go. It's digital the entire way.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sorry for hijacking, but i'm curious, can't we just use S/PDIF from iMac into Coaxial digital input on the receiver? because that way we just need a cheaper and more common 3.5mm jack into RCA audio cable, is it possible?

12. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

You could also connect to one of these via a big long Ethernet cable, but I'm not sure what the max length would be.

In regards to the toslink length, I'm not sure what the max is but the limit would be imposed by the power of the devices sending the signal. There may be FCC regulations limiting the power of the laser such as the limits for cd and DVD players.

Cool, I think this was my first post ever where I got to use the word "laser" ;)

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The digital out of the Mac is optical. Coax digital (RCA type plug) is electrical not optical. Therefore you would need a converter. They use a common signal that can easily be converted for probably less than $50. S/PDIF

14. mb21 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

i wouldnt worry about the lenght of the toslink cable. the standard mandates only that it works for 10m or less, but if you can find a longer cable it almost certainly will work too. and because the signal is digital you wont have any quality loss.

personally, i'd always favour a simple lowtech solution like a cable over more fancy and failprone alternatives - given it does what you want it to do. also, if latency is an issue (ex audio/video sync) network solutions are a nogo.

15. xjq14 macrumors newbie

I'm considering using a 35' toslink to connect my iMac to the optical port on my receiver. That way I can also use the Remote app on my iPhone to control the music.

But I have a question. Since the toslink connects to the headphone jack on the iMac... if someone is using the computer (in the office) while I'm listening to music (in the living room), will all of the computer's sounds be played over the receiver and speakers? Does that mean that if my son is watching his preschool video books on the iMac, that we can't listen to music in the other room at the same time?

thx.

16. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

If you are getting into high quality audio you should first and foremost get yourself a high quality DAC for DA conversion. The Mac internal card can't even compete.