Losslessly transcode QuickTime DV into DV .AVI file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Samuel Gordon, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Samuel Gordon macrumors member

Is there any good way to losslessly transcode from a QuickTime DV codec
    file to an .AVI DV codec file? I can export from QuickTime Player Pro, but
    given how long it takes, I assume it is recompressing, not just transcoding. Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you think transcoding is? By its very nature, digital video is compressed. The only way that you can transcode video is to decompress it from its source format and then to recompress it into its target format.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

VLC has a lot of pass through and container options, even though it is not very user friendly compared to its player features. Your situation may be one of those options. You might want to give it a try. However, I'd be surprised if QT Pro does not offer the same options. Even if QT is not recompressing, if it needs to manipulate the data somewhat and rewrite onto the disk, it may take a long while.

MPEG Streamclip may also be OK, but I have never used it myself.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Are you doing this so you can edit something from iMovie on a PC?

I dont think that MPEG Streamclip will work, while it will export AVI files, I dont think DV is in the list.

EDIT: it is in the list, but I cant tell if it is transcoding or not. It does seem to take a while, but not as long as exporting to another format would take.

6. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

No, it's complicated but it's my own stupidity. I had it in AVI originally... :mad:

Otherwise, MPEG Streamclip looks fine and I'm transcoding it right now. We'll see...

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

Actually he is right to be calling what he wants transcoding. Far too often people call "re-encoding" transcoding, which sadly it has come to mean.

What transcoding originally meant is to take a data stream and convert it into another datastream through some transform that might incur some loss but not a full generational loss that you would get by decoding and reencoding.

Apparently that term and use was too hard to understand ( sorry I'm an old MPEG-1 age geezer ) and even wikipedia considers re-encoding "transcoding" now days.

*sigh*

Anyway... in his case he's trying to just change the container, not the datastream. It's still both the DV codec underneath.

ok I'll get down from the podium now.

8. Samuel Gordon thread starter macrumors member

Great. MPEG Streamclip has done its job very well. Thank you guys.

As for "transcoding" expression - I am not a native speaker, so it could aplogize me... :D