Lossy vs lossless (FLAC vs MP3)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rbrian, Oct 9, 2015.

1. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I tested my own ripped CDs a few years ago, and decided that 256 sounded better than 128, but there was no difference any higher. I ripped everything at 320 just to make sure. I always assumed it was my cheap earphones (Apple earbuds and £30 Senheissers), but it turns out few people can. That makes me feel better about being cheap! ;)

Have a listen yourselves here:
    http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/news/flac-vs-mp3-does-it-really-make-difference

2. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

It wasn't hard for me to pick the flac version.

Most people simply don't have good a good setup (high-end DAC and high-end monitors), that's why they can't tell the difference.

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Agree with UBS. Even with High End Audio gear, it'll be very hard to determine between a well encoded 320 Kbps MP3 and Flac. I would agree though if it's Flac vs 192 MP3 where the tiny little details will sound muffled on 192 Khps when played on a highly resolving DAC and headphones. You'll first hear mastering flaws rather than the difference between the two formats.

4. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

The difference is huge, provided you can listen to it on a serious HIFI setup.