Lost 2 applications with Lion (VisualHub & info.xhead)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dimwhit, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

For some reason, my registrations for these two apps got wiped in the Lion install. Restoring the pref files from TM didn't do the trick. I have all the registration info for both applications, but neither is supported anymore, so when I try to enter the reg information, it comes back as invalid. I assume because the developer site can no longer be hit.

Which sucks, since all my passwords are in info.xhead, and I use VisualHub for my video conversions.

I like Lion, but this is a bummer...

2. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

4. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

No sweat. Worked great for me.

Now I need to figure out what to do with info.xhead...

5. octel macrumors newbie

info.xhead stopped working for me too

I upgraded this morning first thing and my info.xhead stopped working too.
    I have over 170 passwords in my file. I guess I have to get to another mac and try to get the database that way.

But if you figure out anything and you don't mind sharing, I would be grateful.

Cheers

6. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you had the same issue I did, all is not lost. My database opened but looked empty, and the Opening Database... alert stayed up, like it couldn't complete. But it is. Click to the right of Categories to unhide all of them. From there, you should be able to see your entries.

Since xhead is dead, I'm switching over to Wallet. Click on one of your categories, go to File > Export Entries and do it as a Tab Delimited file. With Wallet (costs $20 on app store) you can import from a text file, choose to import the first line as headers, and it goes in great to Wallet. You might find a different app that also works.

info.xhead will still work, but with that alert never going away, and the software effectively dead, I decided to save the data and move elsewhere.

Hope that helps!

7. octel macrumors newbie

Thank you

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! I will export and try out wallet.
    I was always a big supporter of xhead but I think they are no longer in business.

Again, thank you !!! You made my day.

Cheers
    Mike

8. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

9. boozy macrumors newbie

10. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I found (back in the version 1 days, never had version 2) that if you set your date/time on your computer back to the day (or close to) you purchased your license, you can re-enter your license information.

I would never trust the developers.

I tried to purchase a version 2 license before they went under but they never responded, and now I'm stuck without a version 2 and still booting up my mac to 10.5 to get data out of the old database (I have like 400 entries in mine).

If someone has a version 2 license they'd like to share, please let me know. I liked this product but because of the lies, it's hard to respect them any longer. I've already purchased 1password for my Mac and PC and started transitioning to it, but it's a pain to load up 10.5 just to get to my old data.

Here is my correspondence back from 2007 when I voiced concerns about their serial number issues.

You can see he basically lied, as I suspected.

On Nov 17, 2007, at 7:12 PM, xhead software support wrote:
    Toby,

In the event our company decides to no longer exist, we will disable the expiration mechanism and release updated versions of our applications. So I completely understand your concern there.

For recorder.xhead, the expiration was disabled for version 4.x as many large*institutions*like schools and companies were having difficulty deploying it for a large number of users. In version 5.0 of recorder, and future versions of info.xhead (and other apps), we will employ a non-expiring solution.

Hope this addresses your concerns. Please know that we are trying to tackle these issues but sometimes its hard to strike a balance between combatting piracy and making the software convenient to register for paid users.

Regards,

Kevin
    xhead software

On Jul 17, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Toby wrote:
    I understand needs to combat piracy.* However, the obvious response to this that I'm sure you're well aware of is "What do I do when your company no longer exists?"* It's not something any software developer wants to admit, but it happens.

So, at least now I have a work around.* Set the date back to the day I bought it and enter the key.

And what was more confusing is I installed the recorder software (I believe that's what it is, never used it but I own a key for that too) and it accepted the key just fine.* You can see how I was confused.* So if this is your method for piracy, why are you not consistent among all of your products?

On Nov 17, 2007, at 3:11 PM, xhead software support wrote:
    Toby,

The key expires after some time to limit piracy. We develop, market, and support our applications and we bear all costs. Expiring keys limits our exposure to piracy.*

You may not realize it but we pay our bills by selling this software. What seems like a "pain" to you is unfortunately necessary for us to ensure that people aren't stealing from us. And you'll be surprised how many folks don't want to pay for something they use every single day.

Having said that, we received your email this morning and replied to it this morning, a Saturday morning that is. Users that pay for our software get exceptional service and we do everything we can to make users happy.

There is no need to set the time back, just email us and we'll send you a new key. If you send us an email during waking hours (U.S. time, that is), you will get a reply within the hour, most of the time, much much sooner that that. We are all equipped with BlackBerry phones so we can have a quick turnaround on support emails.

Regards,

Kevin
    xhead software

On Jul 17, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Toby wrote:
    After searching around it appears you have to enter keys for this software between a given date. *I was able to set the date on my machine back to the day I purchased the software and enter the original key.

Why do you do this? *What a pain.

On Nov 17, 2007, at 6:53 AM, xhead software support wrote:

Hi Toby,

Here's a new key you can use on Leopard.

Name: Toby xxxxxx

Email: xxx

Key: XHINF-57573-23167-51517-91815

Regards,

Kevin
    xhead software, llc
    http://www.xheadsoftware.com

On Nov 17, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Toby wrote:

I own your software. I'm having trouble registering it under Leopard. I verified my key is correct. I stored it in your product and also stored it in a PDF export of the receipt when I purchased the product. I even just did a cut and paste of the key. Is there a problem registering your software under Leopard? I'm having issues with the info.xhead product. Works fine on my Mac Pro under Tiger but now I installed a fresh copy of Leopard on a different drive, reinstalling apps (I don't want to do an upgrade) and I can't get this registered. Help?

And here is me trying to get an updated licenses to version 2, without ever receiving a response.

On Jan 10, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Toby wrote:

I'm thinking about finally upgrading to Snow Leopard. I assume 1.4 doesn't work with Snow Leopard and I'll unfortunately have to upgrade my license to your product too as a result.

Anyway, I purchased this product way before you guys came out with the concept of family pack licensing. I bought the xBundle at the time, which you also appear to no longer have. I run info.xhead on 2-3 different Mac's. Do I require the family pack now? How can I upgrade where I can run info.xhead on multiple Mac's? I'm a single user using it on multiple Mac's. Most of the world does this now, seeing how most people have a desktop and a laptop.

So if any of you have a 2.0 license you're willing to share, let me know. Or if anyone knows how to purchase this product, let me know and I will upgrade my license, but until then, as far as I can see this product is dead and there is no way to purchase/upgrade.

11. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

tobyg, I definitely think info.xhead is dead, so I wouldn't bother anymore with it.

Here's what I'd suggest. Get back into your current version of it and export your data (you have to export each category separately). I'd suggest as a tab-delimited file. I don't know if 1password will import from that tab-delimited file or not, but a lot of other titles will. Or, at the very least, you have a text file you can reference until you get everything transitioned.

12. tobyg macrumors 6502a

The problem is, I used info.xhead for everything, had tons of different fields and nothing would work well to export/import. I used it for much more than just passwords, and most things don't translate well to 1password.

I've found someone on twitter who clams he was part of xhead software.

https://twitter.com/#!/hazelwood

I asked him to review this thread and comment.

13. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you're willing to spend money, do what I did. I bought Wallet (it's in the App Store). It will import the exported text file that info.xhead generates. And you can map the fields to Wallet fields, and make any new ones you need. It worked great for me, and now I'm using Wallet, which does basically the same thing info.xhead did. But it's $20. There may be another program that is cheaper that does the same thing. But I've really liked Wallet.

14. Atarikid macrumors regular

iFFmpeg is way better then VisualHub. And it seems to be fully compatible with OS X 10.7

15. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I messed around with it but didn't like it. Maybe I just didn't have the patience to figure out the settings I needed. VisualHub had nice presets that I could easily tweak to get what I needed.

16. Atarikid macrumors regular

iFFmpeg has very good presets imo but the advanced options are massive. I never saw such control for converting media. Really, it is mentally insane what you can do with iffmpeg.
    And quality is on par or even better compared to VH.