Lost 3% of battery capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by St69581, Sep 25, 2014.

1. St69581 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've got a new rMBP 13 for a month and it has been no problems but today i noticed that the battery time decreased. So i checked the battery and saw that it had lost 3% of capacity after a month.
    Is this normal?

Here is the coconutBattery info:
    [​IMG]

2. konradsa macrumors regular

Mine is about a month old, and my max charge is only 6,290. So I think it's normal, batteries age, probably a little faster at the beginning. Also these numbers will fluctuate over time.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Bought mine in August 2014

Attached Files:

4. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

If you leave it on charge and monitor it, it will charge to 100% via coconut battery's scale (the upper one of the two) and probably surpass apple's design capacity - mine does! but if you leave it plugged in for too long it begins to automatically discharge\recharge by design to keep it from overcharging - which is probably what you're seeing here.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

OMG. So are you going to come back and ask if losing 4% in the second month is normal or whatever percentage every month? Just use it!

6. michikade macrumors regular

michikade

Lost 3% of battery capacity

The batteries fluctuate, especially early on. Mine is 13 months old and my battery (according to Coconut anyway) is still in excellent shape:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411715134.779100.jpg

But sometimes it fluctuates down to around 6200, then pops back up. It just depends on how heavy I've been using my MacBook in the couple days prior to the reading.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Still above design capacity

It is still charging to above what it was designed to take so you are gold.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

wow mine is still at 98% after nearly two years

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It is normal for your battery percentage to fluctuate. Your battery will discharge until such a time as it needs to start charging again. Usually, this will start to happen once your Mac goes under 95% charged while being plugged in.

As others have said, use your Mac and enjoy it.

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You don't understand how to read the image.

The first bar is the *current* charge of the battery. The second bar is the capacity of the battery.

Your battery is still at 100%+ of design capacity (i.e., it's actually a slightly better than the design starting capacity).

What your image shows is that the charging controller has stopped charging at 96.9% for this particular cycle. This is totally normal and this will fluctuate as the controller determines the best way to operate the battery.

Under normal use the charging system may stop early, or it will charge to 100% then stop and allow the battery to drop back to about 95-96% before topping it off. Constantly topping the battery off when it's nearly totally full shortens the life, so the charging system will try to minimise this where possible.

Apple hides this from the battery UI display (it will say "full" when it's in this high-charge mode) where the actual capacity will vary slightly depending on what part of the "charge>discharge slowly>top back up" cycle you are in at the time. The menu bar UI will show this as "100%" most of the time.

This is also why you will sometimes see the charger displaying a green "not charging" light while the percentage indicator on the menu bar reads something other than 100% (e.g., 98% or 99%).

This is all normal, and the computer knows how to take care of it's own battery.

11. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

+1

BTW you are at 101% capacity.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+2

OP>> Joe is right on target. It hovers between 95-100 to prevent overcharging and the OS battery indicator in the menu bar fudges the numbers so as not to concern you.

Run it on battery down to about 85%, then plug it back in and I bet you will see it charge up to 100& again. No need to do this all the time, but just do it this once to see what I mean and make yourself feel more comfortable. :D

13. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Mine is 5 months old and has lost 15%.

That’s probably normal in their eyes.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

15. konradsa macrumors regular

Don't think it's normal. If it drops below 80% in the first year, apple will provide you a warranty battery replacement.

16. tulsidasji macrumors member

Keep a lookout on the battery capacity. If it's in free fall, take it to apple. My 15 inch mid 2014's battery capacity dropped to 64% in less that a month of usage. Apple diagnosed it as either there's a faulty battery or a faulty logic board. So just keep checking if it keeps falling

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Wouldn't think so but keep an eye on it, when it breaks 80% take it in...