LOST 48 GB of hard dive space!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aaronyaffer3, Aug 2, 2011.

1. aaronyaffer3 macrumors newbie

ok so i set up a 48GB partition using bootcamp and then realized i could not find my windows install dvd.... tried to delete the windows partition using bootcamp assistant and now i only have 200GB hard drive space instead of 248GB. i tried using disk utility to repair disk but i get errors and I'm lost. if anyone has a solution for me please help. i really do not want to lose 20% of my hard drive forever. I'm running Lion btw.

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

I commiserate since I am also having a number of issues but I thought initially it was due to a "learning curve" however this is turning out not to be the case. Earlier today I lost a partition on my backup HDD and later today I got my internal HDD partitioning corrupted.

The problem is that OS X uses a GUID partitioning scheme and Windows has to use MBR on the Mac. This results in a "hybrid" scheme which has been observed to be rather unstable. The most stable solution is to let BootCamp assistant do its job and not to interrupt it or later with a third party tool change it. (I did the latter :( ) I will hasten to add that Paragon Partition Manager worked fine with resizing but that was about it - do not try to delete a partition or have a Windows install DVD do a "repair". (I tried the latter and it changed the whole partitioning scheme into MBR corrupting the OS X installation)

The only thing I found that works rather reliably is to put in the Snow Leopard install DVD and then use Time Machine to restore from an earlier backup.

I do not know how to do this with Lion: I am still waiting on my "free" upgrade (bought my machine within the qualifying period but somehow I am still waiting after nearly two weeks - have been in contact with support and todate have gotten nowhere).

However reading about some issues that other windows users seem to have make me rethink about upgrading in a hurry.

Good luck.