iPhone X Lost 5 % battery life...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reggavegga, Jul 25, 2019.

1. reggavegga macrumors member

I have been monitoring my Iphone X battery life this week and it has gone down 5% in less than 1 week. It went from 100 to 99 to 96 to 95. Very surprised by this. Got the phone around January 1st of this year. Apple replaced it after I paid to have the 29 dollar battery put in right around Christmas on the one I bought when they first came out. They stripped the screws trying to replace battery so replaced with new one. So the phone is about 7 1/2 months old.

2. chabig macrumors 603

Normal. Don't read too much into that health percentage in the short term. It's showing 95% health after 7 1/2 months. That is what is important.

3. reggavegga thread starter macrumors member

Going to try and start taking case off when charging to keep heat dissipated..

4. TerryClarke1987 macrumors newbie

Make sure you keep us updated. I don't think it will help significantly but there is definitely some logic behind it. I look forward to your results.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Battery life is not linear like a glass of water being slowly emptied. Batteries are a chemistry that change over time with heat, usage, etc... I observe my batteries almost every week or other week with coconutBattery and you can see capacity grow or shrink by 2-3%. That's why you want to watch it over time, not with just one reading. Also where you do the reading is important. At 40% charge, it'll show a way different max capacity than at 100% charge.

https://batteryuniversity.com - great place to learn about batteries. Buy the book! I've read it several times.

6. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Did the refurb replacement start with 0 cycles?

7. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I would be suspicious that the phone was still at 100% at 7.5 months. Maybe the battery health indicator was just probably recalibrating itself over the past week.. and it was really trickling down through all this time?

Unless you used some cheap knock off cable and/or plug just this past week, I don't think it's anything you did that's in your control.

8. reggavegga thread starter macrumors member

It was a new replacement phone ..

9. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Gods, why would you be wasting your time doing that? A whole 5% over 7 months... the HORROR!

10. reggavegga thread starter macrumors member

A whole 5 percent in one week... granted it took 7 months to get to that point..

11. ihakim, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

ihakim macrumors regular

Removing the case isn’t going to do anything. Instead just charge with no more than the 5W charging brick and that will prolong your battery health from a charging perspective. I also don’t play games on my phone (have a Nintendo Switch for that) and avoid using GPS for prolonged periods. Aside from that, regular usage and I usually get 700 charge cycles and battery capacity > 90% on my phones. The key is minimizing heat and fast drain during usage and slow charging.

12. reggavegga thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I have iPods for music and don’t really play any games on phone.. plus I have a Tom Tom for gps. Basically calls , texts and a little Facebook and surfing for me.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2019 ---
    Also went and bought the xr with the wife yesterday I had them just run a check on mine all normal which is what I figured..

13. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Ha! Same here OP! Except I have an 8 Plus with a brand new battery from Apple in January too. It just hit 95% two days ago and it dropped from 97% in a span of a week. I'm a little concerned too.

How many charge cycles do you have on it right now?

Do you use wireless charging?

How do your charge your phone every day and with what charger/cable?

14. tonybarnaby macrumors 68000

Not all batteries are the same. Some come with over 100% of the rated capacity, while others come with less. You might not be losing capacity as much as it’s just leveling out. You could drop quickly to 96% and then stay there for months.

15. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

That meter is not entirely accurate. I can 100% absolutely gurantee it did not go down 5% in one week.

In 2018, I had my 7+ replaced in February. By December it was down to 89%. Which is expected - battery is designed to go 1000 cycles and still have 80% left. You're at 200+ cycles, so 5% of wear should leave you right around those 1000 cycles. Chill out.

16. ericwn macrumors 68030

iPhone batteries should hold 80% after 500 cycles, not 1000.
    https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/ features those numbers.

17. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000