Lost 5% of charge overnight.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KingMo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. KingMo macrumors member

Hey guys. I charged my battery right before I went to bed last night. and unplugged it when it reached 100%. I then closed all apps and just left the phone alone and went to bed. When I woke up, it was at 95%. Is this normal?...and how can I conserve more battery life?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Yes it's normal, and compared with my old Blackberry's battery drain overnight, it's remarkably good.

Your phone is still in standby, and could be fetching (or receiving pushed) email overnight.

You can shut it down completely overnight by holding down the sleep/wake button until the red "Slide to Power Off" slider appears.

4. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay. thanks a lot. Good to know it's nothing abnormal.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Leave it plugged in at night.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That si what I say, just plug it in before you go to bed and unplug it in the am and be happy. It is not going to over charge.

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think the only way to reduce battery consumption when the phone is locked is to disable any connections that you're not using. 3G, wi-fi and Bluetooth all use extra power, even if they're not actually transferring data.

I'd also say that there's no need to close all of your apps when you're not using them. As long as they're not doing something active in the background (e.g. playing music), they shouldn't consume any power. The big thing about the iOS multi-tasking is that background apps don't consume extra power; they enter a sort of frozen mode from which they can quickly resume later.

I only ever close apps if they're having problems. The Facebook app, for example, regularly has bugs for me, so whenever it does I close it from the multi-tasking pop-up bar.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's "overnight?" Is it 8 hours?

If so then you burned 0.625% per hour. At that rate the phone would stay on for 160 hours which works out to 6.6 days.

Now, it's true Apple advertises 300 hours of standby, but that's under ideal conditions where bascially nothing happens. However you slice it, I wouldn't be upset with 6 (extrapolated) days of standby time.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's normal. Usually I get anywhere from 95 to 98 percent left overnight.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

300 hours standby time with 3G off, call forwarding on, push off, bluetooth off, great signal strength... http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I normally charge my 3GS before bed then use it for about 30 mins on wi-fi before going to sleep.

Usually wake up at like 95%+...

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

Seriously? "Oh no, I lost 5% battery charge, what to do?! Quick, to the MR forums!"

13. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Consider yourself lucky. My crappy HTC Touch Pro II drops over 20% overnight.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

I used to lose ~2% overnight if I didn't use it and now I lose about 10% overnight.

One interesting thing I note that when I use the iphone 4, to go from 100% to 99% requires about 5 minutes of constant usage, but after that, going down another 1% takes only about 30-60 seconds. That first 1% is somehow different than the latter 99%.

15. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

Ok...thanks for the feedback everybody. Now I know there's nothing to worry about.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh yeah and the screen NEVER comes on. You forgot the big one there.

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

People should just charge their phone overnight and stop QQing about battery. Its AMAZING not having the battery percentage show 100% of the time.

18. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

im jailbroken and it drains 10 percent each night i dont charge it. So be grateful :p

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it also doesn't hurt to charge the phone over night... :rolleyes:

20. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Btw, turn off automatic time update...

Firstly, it is normally wrong, and secondly it stops it checking the time, thus using battery slowly (I dunno how frequent it is) which helps hold battery % in standby

21. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Thats what happened to me but i restored it and there was barely any drop last night

22. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think this is pretty standard with most electronic devices. That last percent takes forever to charge and quite a bit longer (than the rest of them) to discharge.