lost 5GB HD space in 5 min or so...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pit29, Apr 6, 2008.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

a couple of hours ago, I realized that my internal MBP HD (160GB) only had 15 GB space left instead of 20, which it had over the last weeks. I also noticed that the Spotlight database was re-build. (???)

I run Apple's Hard Drive Utility to repair the HD, but everything seemed ok. I used Tinker Tool to run daily / weekly / monthly scripts. Restarted, but still only 15GB. I looked using OmniDiskSweeper, but did not notice any unusual large files. I have only one swapfile in /private/var/vm which is 3GB and was created December 07. Not much in /private/tmp. Oh, and I am running OS X 10.5.2, with all software updates...

Oh, and my computer is slowww today and crashes. Colored spinning balls all the time... (Is that due to the Spotlight database being rebulid?)

Can you help me finding that 5GB? I'd appreciate any suggestions...

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Sounds like a log gone crazy to me.

Check /Library/Logs and see what shows up. It's likely there is either a single massive log in there (unlikely considering what you've already said) or a large number of smaller log files...

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

/Library/Logs is 4.2MB...

Nice guess, though. And it could well have been that... Thanks!

Any other suggestions?

Peter

4. andy5000 macrumors regular

try this application- it found me 10gbs a while back.
    http://www.derlien.com/
    shows you what files are taking up what room
    hope it helps

5. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Thanks, Andy. I used OmniDiskSweeper which is similar (although graphically not as sophisticated), but I also tried Disk Inventory X. I Found some other stuff I deleted (but those files have been on my HD for a year or so...).

Still wondering how that could happen. 5GB in a single day, without installing / saving something...?