Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaymerraver

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Essex/London
Hey all.

So last month I had my iPhone mugged from me.
I have a LTE watch that they didn’t notice so didn’t nick (at knifepoint) so placed iPhone in lost mode within 10 mins.
I have a spare iPhone 11 so used that without restoring any backup in the meantime the battery is so terrible after so much use lol.

Fast forward to yesterday I get a new iPhone. Restored iCloud backup, but my years worth of fitness data is gone.

Re-paired my watch, still nothing. iCloud shows as 258kb which isn’t going to be years of data.

Speak to support, give them context they are confused as I am. (I work in IT, so all this is like second nature to me)

Go into Apple Store, explain situation to genius, restored an even further backup. No fitness data. Said he has never seen this before. He escalated it, and escalation team have told me there is nothing they can do.

I’ve had a few iPhones and watches, never lost my data when pairing new devices to each other. I’ve never experienced this before. The most I have ever lost is a days worth.

I don’t know what’s happened, this is data that has seen me from getting diagnosed with ptsd and not being in a good place to work hard and get a £60k job. That data meant a lot to me and was always good to reflect with on my bad days. Yes it’s just data, but the years of how much is what annoys me most.

I’ve submitted a complaint but if their escalation team are telling me there is nothing they can do well let’s just say I’ve already returned my iPhone to the store as there is no way going from this £50 Apple voucher won’t just suddenly make me want an iPhone or watch again. I actually don’t know if I will ever return after this (been using iPhone since 3G model back way back when)

I have an exam next week and this has 100% bought out the IT imposter syndrome.

This is just a rant and don’t expect anyone to come up with any suggestions as a good few genius staff looked at my devices/backups and are stumped at this too.

For mean time I have purchased a pixel as prepared to try a different ecosystem over this but let this be a warning to not trust apple with your fitness data if you get mugged at knifepoint, it could vanish and they won’t be able to explain anything. This is not one of those “it just works” moments. It didn’t work and it’s messed my fitness/health history.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0644.png
    IMG_0644.png
    300 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sorry about what happened firstly. These scum want hanging!

I can only assume you didn’t have Health in iCloud enabled. I’ve just looked at mine and it takes up just over 1 GB. And I’ve got roughly 6 years of data.

So in other words, when I set my 15 Pro Max up as new it restored all of my fitness and health data from the cloud.

gaymerraver

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Essex/London
Sorry about what happened firstly. These scum want hanging!

I can only assume you didn’t have Health in iCloud enabled. I’ve just looked at mine and it takes up just over 1 GB. And I’ve got roughly 6 years of data.

So in other words, when I set my 15 Pro Max up as new it restored all of my fitness and health data from the cloud.
I had my health data turned on with my previous phones and this one. I have never switched it off manually.

It was turned on when restoring any of my stolen iphones backups as that is the setting, it had backed up.

I’m not buying it, apologies but this just isn’t it at all. Apple have just ****ed up and lost my data. I think it’s been overwritten but I just can’t tell you how or why, even the “geniuses” don’t. There is zero explanation as to what has exactly happened which is why I am at ground zero of leaving apple ecosystem and have purchased a pixel pro 8 + watch. I just don’t trust apple anymore sorry.

Last edited:

gaymerraver

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Essex/London
I’ll be more happy once I have a new phone in my
That would probably have been my first thought; you would have expected if that was the case, though, that the geniuses would have seen that.
My Health backup has always been switched on, never switched it off. Any restored backup showed it as turned on.

I am at defeat at this point but again, I might not ever come back to iPhone or any Apple product after this. I will shop around with Android for a few years but it will take apple huge strides to ever see me come back but right now I give up with them. Giving my watch & MBP to my mother. I’ve had a surface pro for 7 months and prefer it over Mac. I just give up with apple. Just another IT guy who now does not like Apple.

Cancelled my 200gb iCloud subscription let’s not forget about that eh! :) My photos are backed up to two different & more reliable service providers. One of which (Microsoft) I have been using for decades and they have never ever lost my data suddenly. I still have pics from 2008.

**** apple. I’m out.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeW

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Sorry you lost your fitness data but I cannot imagine switching ecosystems over something so, at least to me, trivial.

I'm close to calling shenanigans.

Reactions: Arcus

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
"One of which (Microsoft) I have been using for decades and they have never ever lost my data suddenly. I still have pics from 2008."

This has got to be a troll post especially with him being in "IT":

1. He should know that **** can just happen.
2. He should know that every service has an issue. Just because it has not hit you yet does not mean it doesn't exists and does not mean any one is that much better than another.
3. Good luck with the pixel LOL

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
To be fair, your body is your only true log of your fitness work. You can write down anything you want but your body will show the truth. I would recommend relying less on technology and more on what your body is saying.

Reactions: JohnRckr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.