Lost a screw inside PowerMac G5...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlbertEinstein, Mar 2, 2013.

1. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Hello forum,
    Today i were trying to sort out my AirPort issues on my PMG5 when all of the sudden i dropped a screw while removing the AirPort backplate.
    Stubborn as i am i decided to tilt it, hoping that it would fall out. Instead, i heard how it got stuck somewhere.

Now, here is the deal: This is the Quad G5. That means its watercooled. I could tilt it all day, but there is something about unwanted leaks that i dont wish to experience.
    That leaves me with no choice but to tear it down, and guess what? I think its stuck behind the proccesor.

Before tearing it down (thus breaking it) i would like some feedback. Can i tilt it without breaking the cooling system? Tips? Service manual?

Any help is very appreciated!

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I don't think that a single screw will hurt it much, and if you are not confident in your abilities I would not mess with it

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Someone should've used a magnetic tip screwdriver ;)

I once lost a screw down between the exhaust fans & the heatsinks on my G5 while undoing one of the PCI blankplates. I ended up disassembling it & to my surprise it really wasn't too difficult at all. But this was a duallie 1.8 (air-cooled) & am not familiar with how the LCS are built. So I'd give it a go, but if you feel like you're getting a bit uncomfortable & aren't 100% confident in your ability then I'd just leave it. Unless you're really unlucky, 1 screw shouldn't do too much harm.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've done the exact same thing with the exactly same model, the screw (or two) has been sitting down there for several months now without harm. I'd say you're fine :)

5. Navare macrumors member

Well having spent the last two weeks tearing G5's apart both air cooled and water cooled its not that hard....just makes sure you're grounded and take your time and buy a magnetic screwdriver this time....good luck

Regards

N.

6. Wildy macrumors 6502

And when the screw dislodges if the case is nudged and blows a load of components? Best fish it out...

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Depends where it is... in my G5, below the PCI card slots, there's not much that it can touch that'll cause trouble... actually, not anything at all as far as I can tell.

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Yes, you can safely tilt it. I don't know about Quads, but the LCS in my 2.7 is constructed with metal pipes and looks sturdy. I find it unlikely that it would cause issues, but you can't hurt a thing by tearing it down, as long as you are careful.

9. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

I have spent the entire day tearing it down, and i have realized that it must be stuck by the PSU. Bummer. I do not feel like tearing everything down just to get a small screw, so I'm going to need to find some other way to do this.

The LCS seems to consist of rubber piping. It doesn't look safe to tilt it around.

Just a little question; the floor mat (or whatever it's called) bellow the processor will need to be removed before getting to the PSU, but as soon as i try to grab it, it turns into dust. Is it recommended to leave it, handle with extreme care or simply throw it away? It doesn't seem like it fills any function.

10. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

The purpose of that is to collect leaking LCS fluid, so less of a chance of it flowing into the PSU. I'm sure the LCS is fine to tilt.

11. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

So i can replace the mat with something better and less... dusty? Will try tilting it some more, but it seems stuck in the bottom.

12. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I did exactly the same thing with my G5! One fell off the PCI brackets as I was unscrewing it and fell just below into an awkward to get out of plastic hole. I flipped the machine around and it has been lost ever since!

13. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I agree with Lil ChillBil. I lost something like 5 or 6 screws in my iMac G3, most of which are from the metal cage that covers the logic board. It functions just fine with no unusual snaps, cracks, pops or explosions. I think you'll probably be fine.

14. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Regards to "tilting it", my G5 quad was shipped to me in Canada from California via UPS, (known for their rough handling) and nothing bad happened to the cooling system.
    It has been running just fine for almost two years now.

15. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

5 or 6???

16. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I don't even understand why a imac g3 would still function with 5 or 6 screws not in place,

17. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

They're screws that slipped away when I was trying to put the metal cage back into place.

----------

Lucky thing it does. If I were to lightly shake it around I could hear either the screws or pieces of the inside plastic moving around.

18. Frost7 macrumors regular

It probably won't cause a problem... but it can. Loose screws can cause shorts or worse if they roll into the wrong spot.

I personally am aware of a lost screw in a Quad's PSU that got ignored, and a couple machine moves later got in the WRONG place and caused a blown power supply and a four figure repair bill.

It's a huge PITA, but if it were my machine, I'd get that screw.

19. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Isn't the PSU sealed in the G5 where even if a screw did fall, it would have no where to land? When I looked at my Quad's PSU, there sure weren't any holes or gaps in there where a fallen screw would land.

20. Frost7, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

Frost7 macrumors regular

Yeah, that was meant as an illustration, didn't mean a loose screw in the main housing could fall inside the PSU; it shouldn't be able to. That screw got there by other means.

It CAN cause a short in critical components it has physical access to, though.

21. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Well, I think the LCS in Quads should be sealed well enough, but if the screw is stuck underneath it, you could be tilting it for ages to no avail.

If you're not clumsy, you can quite easily remove the whole CPU block and remove the screw which is surely missing from somewhere. All you'll need is a long-handle 3mm hex screwdriver. If it's stuck somewhere in the PSU area, you'll have hard time reaching for it, because in order to take out the PSU you basically need take apart the whole computer which includes removing the logic board. I hope this is not the case, though.

Anyhow, have a little faith in yourself and try, here's the service manual you asked for. Covers both dual and quad-core G5's:

Code:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31603477/PowerMac%20G5%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    In case the link didn't work, PM me you email address, I will send it to you directly.

22. drorpheus macrumors regular

the top and the sides are solid plates, but the ends arent sealed, the front has the two fans and the back end has a bigger cheese greater like plate that has the same contour as the case.

23. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Im back...

...but the PowerMac is toast. Managed to electrocute myself while working on it and had to be hospitalized for a few days.

Will be getting a new one once i get the chance to do so.

24. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Oh thats terrible, I once shocked myself and now I twitch my neck as seen in some of my youtube videos

25. ickystay macrumors regular

Electricity is scary stuff. I hope you heal well.