Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hello forum,
Today i were trying to sort out my AirPort issues on my PMG5 when all of the sudden i dropped a screw while removing the AirPort backplate.
Stubborn as i am i decided to tilt it, hoping that it would fall out. Instead, i heard how it got stuck somewhere.

Now, here is the deal: This is the Quad G5. That means its watercooled. I could tilt it all day, but there is something about unwanted leaks that i dont wish to experience.
That leaves me with no choice but to tear it down, and guess what? I think its stuck behind the proccesor.

Before tearing it down (thus breaking it) i would like some feedback. Can i tilt it without breaking the cooling system? Tips? Service manual?

Any help is very appreciated!

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I don't think that a single screw will hurt it much, and if you are not confident in your abilities I would not mess with it

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Someone should've used a magnetic tip screwdriver ;)

I once lost a screw down between the exhaust fans & the heatsinks on my G5 while undoing one of the PCI blankplates. I ended up disassembling it & to my surprise it really wasn't too difficult at all. But this was a duallie 1.8 (air-cooled) & am not familiar with how the LCS are built. So I'd give it a go, but if you feel like you're getting a bit uncomfortable & aren't 100% confident in your ability then I'd just leave it. Unless you're really unlucky, 1 screw shouldn't do too much harm.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Someone should've used a magnetic tip screwdriver ;)

I once lost a screw down between the exhaust fans & the heatsinks on my G5 while undoing one of the PCI blankplates. I ended up disassembling it & to my surprise it really wasn't too difficult at all. But this was a duallie 1.8 (air-cooled) & am not familiar with how the LCS are built. So I'd give it a go, but if you feel like you're getting a bit uncomfortable & aren't 100% confident in your ability then I'd just leave it. Unless you're really unlucky, 1 screw shouldn't do too much harm.
I've done the exact same thing with the exactly same model, the screw (or two) has been sitting down there for several months now without harm. I'd say you're fine :)

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Well having spent the last two weeks tearing G5's apart both air cooled and water cooled its not that hard....just makes sure you're grounded and take your time and buy a magnetic screwdriver this time....good luck

Regards

N.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
I don't think that a single screw will hurt it much, and if you are not confident in your abilities I would not mess with it

And when the screw dislodges if the case is nudged and blows a load of components? Best fish it out...

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
And when the screw dislodges if the case is nudged and blows a load of components? Best fish it out...
Depends where it is... in my G5, below the PCI card slots, there's not much that it can touch that'll cause trouble... actually, not anything at all as far as I can tell.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hello forum,
Today i were trying to sort out my AirPort issues on my PMG5 when all of the sudden i dropped a screw while removing the AirPort backplate.
Stubborn as i am i decided to tilt it, hoping that it would fall out. Instead, i heard how it got stuck somewhere.

Now, here is the deal: This is the Quad G5. That means its watercooled. I could tilt it all day, but there is something about unwanted leaks that i dont wish to experience.
That leaves me with no choice but to tear it down, and guess what? I think its stuck behind the proccesor.

Before tearing it down (thus breaking it) i would like some feedback. Can i tilt it without breaking the cooling system? Tips? Service manual?

Yes, you can safely tilt it. I don't know about Quads, but the LCS in my 2.7 is constructed with metal pipes and looks sturdy. I find it unlikely that it would cause issues, but you can't hurt a thing by tearing it down, as long as you are careful.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I have spent the entire day tearing it down, and i have realized that it must be stuck by the PSU. Bummer. I do not feel like tearing everything down just to get a small screw, so I'm going to need to find some other way to do this.

The LCS seems to consist of rubber piping. It doesn't look safe to tilt it around.

Just a little question; the floor mat (or whatever it's called) bellow the processor will need to be removed before getting to the PSU, but as soon as i try to grab it, it turns into dust. Is it recommended to leave it, handle with extreme care or simply throw it away? It doesn't seem like it fills any function.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Just a little question; the floor mat (or whatever it's called) bellow the processor will need to be removed before getting to the PSU, but as soon as i try to grab it, it turns into dust. Is it recommended to leave it, handle with extreme care or simply throw it away? It doesn't seem like it fills any function.

The purpose of that is to collect leaking LCS fluid, so less of a chance of it flowing into the PSU. I'm sure the LCS is fine to tilt.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I did exactly the same thing with my G5! One fell off the PCI brackets as I was unscrewing it and fell just below into an awkward to get out of plastic hole. I flipped the machine around and it has been lost ever since!

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I agree with Lil ChillBil. I lost something like 5 or 6 screws in my iMac G3, most of which are from the metal cage that covers the logic board. It functions just fine with no unusual snaps, cracks, pops or explosions. I think you'll probably be fine.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Can i tilt it without breaking the cooling system? Tips? Service manual?

Regards to "tilting it", my G5 quad was shipped to me in Canada from California via UPS, (known for their rough handling) and nothing bad happened to the cooling system.
It has been running just fine for almost two years now.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I agree with Lil ChillBil. I lost something like 5 or 6 screws in my iMac G3, most of which are from the metal cage that covers the logic board. It functions just fine with no unusual snaps, cracks, pops or explosions. I think you'll probably be fine.

5 or 6???

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
It probably won't cause a problem... but it can. Loose screws can cause shorts or worse if they roll into the wrong spot.

I personally am aware of a lost screw in a Quad's PSU that got ignored, and a couple machine moves later got in the WRONG place and caused a blown power supply and a four figure repair bill.

It's a huge PITA, but if it were my machine, I'd get that screw.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Isn't the PSU sealed in the G5 where even if a screw did fall, it would have no where to land? When I looked at my Quad's PSU, there sure weren't any holes or gaps in there where a fallen screw would land.

It probably won't cause a problem... but it can. Loose screws can cause shorts or worse if they roll into the wrong spot.

I personally am aware of a lost screw in a Quad's PSU that got ignored, and a couple machine moves later got in the WRONG place and caused a blown power supply and a four figure repair bill.

It's a huge PITA, but if it were my machine, I'd get that screw.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Isn't the PSU sealed in the G5 where even if a screw did fall, it would have no where to land? When I looked at my Quad's PSU, there sure weren't any holes or gaps in there where a fallen screw would land.
Yeah, that was meant as an illustration, didn't mean a loose screw in the main housing could fall inside the PSU; it shouldn't be able to. That screw got there by other means.

It CAN cause a short in critical components it has physical access to, though.

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.

Well, I think the LCS in Quads should be sealed well enough, but if the screw is stuck underneath it, you could be tilting it for ages to no avail.

If you're not clumsy, you can quite easily remove the whole CPU block and remove the screw which is surely missing from somewhere. All you'll need is a long-handle 3mm hex screwdriver. If it's stuck somewhere in the PSU area, you'll have hard time reaching for it, because in order to take out the PSU you basically need take apart the whole computer which includes removing the logic board. I hope this is not the case, though.

Anyhow, have a little faith in yourself and try, here's the service manual you asked for. Covers both dual and quad-core G5's:

Code:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31603477/PowerMac%20G5%20Service%20Manual.pdf

In case the link didn't work, PM me you email address, I will send it to you directly.

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010

the top and the sides are solid plates, but the ends arent sealed, the front has the two fans and the back end has a bigger cheese greater like plate that has the same contour as the case.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Im back...

...but the PowerMac is toast. Managed to electrocute myself while working on it and had to be hospitalized for a few days.

Will be getting a new one once i get the chance to do so.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
...but the PowerMac is toast. Managed to electrocute myself while working on it and had to be hospitalized for a few days.

Will be getting a new one once i get the chance to do so.

Oh thats terrible, I once shocked myself and now I twitch my neck as seen in some of my youtube videos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.