Lost a screw :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hishat, Feb 2, 2009.

1. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

i have the new macbook pro 15", i was taking apart my laptop to replace ram, and i lost the small screw on the top left of the machine, ( the one thats different to the other 3) is there anyway i can get a replacement screw from the net or something?

thank you in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Note to self: Don't take the bait, no matter how tempting it is! :D

3. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Apple Store will usually just give you any small, non-electronic part for free. Just ask them for what you need.

4. P Mentior macrumors regular

5. hishat thread starter macrumors regular

hishat

and this will not void my warranty?? because they will know i was playing with it in order to misplace a screw..

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Replacing RAM is a user-serviceable part and does not void the Apple Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan, unless you damage something in the process.

7. eldy macrumors 6502

8. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

You dont need to bring the computer with you or tell them who you are. Just pop by the genius bar abd say "I need this screw". They've given me keys and screws in the past. Don't pay some insane price for a part until you've been turned down by a free source.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Occasionally, screws do fall out in transit. Occasionally (depending on the store) they're pretty helpful. Sometimes, the Store will want to examine your machine just to confirm it's not been tampered with... So, provided the OP doesn't mind.. Then it should be fine!

Opening your Mac doesn't technically void the warranty. Usually the warranty is voided if you break a sticker (iMac), break some hardware, spill liquids on the machine, drop it or run it over!!

11. cerealj macrumors member

You'd think such things would be nearly impossible, but my sister somehow managed to drive over her cellphone. :confused: I can't imagine how.