Lost a track on itunes how to find it on time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by albion-bh, Mar 7, 2009.

1. albion-bh macrumors newbie

I copied my itunes folder and in the process I have lost a few songs. I want to find them on time machine? as I have re installed the software on my make I can open prev back ups; ut song was not i itunes music. It still shows on itunes list and asks if I want to find it? I cant.

How do I search for it in spotlight?

2. kolax macrumors G3

How do you search for it in Spotlight? You are familiar with a keyboard? :eek: Plug in your Time Machine hard drive and search for it.

I'm guessing this happened because you didn't consolidate your library - which means copies all aliases into the iTunes Library (i.e. copying the music file rather than linking to it). So you had some loose music files lying around that weren't actually in your iTunes Music folder.

I'd make sure you have "copy to iTunes Music folder" ticked in Preferences so when you add new tracks, it copies them to the iTunes Folder so this doesn't happen again :)

3. albion-bh thread starter macrumors newbie

Time machine is not connected to the mac (as I have installed a new system; but have the old back up in "time machine" speak - so I connect and it opens it on my desktop like a mounted white disk but spotlight is not finding any files in the mounted disc.

I did consolidate the library but i thaink as you say there were some lose files.

So I can look in the mounted disc but cant seem to search with spotlight or "find":confused: