Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I'm self employed and keep records of every deposit I make in my iPhone 4's Notes app, and for some reason this note has mysteriously disappeared in the last couple weeks. I've never had this issue before as I have mobile me and I figured everything is backed up and synced somewhere, all my other notes are intact but it's nowhere to be found on my phone or in my email.

I did some research and found a way to recover the notes if I jailbreak my phone, but I definitely don't want to go that route. Any suggestions other than doing a restore from a couple months ago? Really don't want to have to go that route.

Thanks for the help.

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
If you’ve backed up your iPhone before losing the note and it was in the backup, you can use iPhone Backup Extractor and SQLite Database Browser to get the note back.

Thanks for the response. I did download the backup extractor but didn't know about the SQLite- will that let me recover the file without any jailbreaking?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks for the response. I did download the backup extractor but didn't know about the SQLite- will that let me recover the file without any jailbreaking?

It will let you see the file saved as a .db (I believe that it is the extension) w/o jailbreaking. You’ll need to copy the contents and then paste it into a note to get it back on your iPhone (w/o jailbreaking, of course).

It’s all fairly straightforward. If you have problems, just search on my username and either SQLite or the Extractor and you’ll find threads explaining the whole process or providing links that will help.

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Great, I will give that a shot tonight when I get home, thanks a lot for the help!

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
ok, so I downloaded sqlite and was able to open the "notes.sqlite" file (the other one was a "notes.idx" file) with sqlite but don't really know where to go from there. I did a mroogle search but couldn't see how to decipher what's displayed in the sqlite program. Here's a screen shot of the opened notes.sqlite file, where do I go from here?

4877561697_7a12f63fe0_b.jpg

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You should have had a notes.db created from iPhone Backup Extractor.

Open this file with SQLite Database Browser. From the SQLite Database Browser, click on the menu File>Export>Table as CSV file. On the Table name drop-down list, select message and click Export. Save the file with a .csv extension. Open the file with MS Excel or any other spreadsheet.

NBarnes21

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010

Open this file with SQLite Database Browser. From the SQLite Database Browser, click on the menu File>Export>Table as CSV file. On the Table name drop-down list, select message and click Export. Save the file with a .csv extension. Open the file with MS Excel or any other spreadsheet.

great, that worked, thanks so much!

chrTheProg

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
notes.db not created found

Hello aggie. I'm in the exact same situation as the Subject opener (some (not all) crucial notes somehow disappeared, I need to retrieve them by all means from early backups)

problem is :
the file "notes.db" is not created by the IOS files "extract" button from your "iph Backup Extractor" app.

"sms.db", "0000000000000001.db" & "2.db" , "call_history.db", etc... do get created.

but no "notes.db".

Any clue ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.