Lost ability to format NTFS using Disk Utility on Snowleopard 10.6.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sim Pill, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Sim Pill macrumors newbie

OSX 10.6.8
    MacBook Pro late 2010

Ok so I've searched and I'm sorry if this has been covered but for now I'm stumped. I've lost 2 formatting options from the drop-down menu in Disk Utility (when you select the format of the partition you're creating)

My macbook pro was a store demo, and was thus pre-installed with OSX snowleopard 10.6.7? I think or 10.6.8. I don't know if I updated it or it self updated, but in anycase, though I could never write to NTFS (I know there's a terminal workaround for specific partitions/volumes possible, and bootcamp if you want windows to do it, but I'm NOT talking about that), I COULD format a volume in Windows NT File System and ExFat and the standard Mac ones and Fat32.

I recently reinstalled OSX on my computer using a replacement DVD from Apple (because the ones that came with my computer were corroded) and I lost this ability. I called Apple to find out why, and after hours of explaination, the answer was, that my computer must have had 3rd party software installed on it.

I do not think I installed such software, I know of no such software (that would add NTFS and ExFat to the dropdown menu un Disk Utility WHILE not allow writing to NTFS), and I cannot find or recall seeing that in my computer.

Answers, thoughts anyone? I'm stumped. Is Apple lying to me?

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I know Mountain Lion comes with exFat as an option out of the box, but I'm not sure about Snow Leopard and exFat. No version of OSX has ever come with the ability to format to NTFS though.

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Out of the box, MacOS X has never had the ability to create NTFS partitions or write to them.

Paragon NTFS is a 3rd party product that does add the ability to create and manage NTFS partitions via Disk Utility.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

VM? Parallels? Or any other bootcamp utilities?...All these could as Apple say cause this issue.

Best option?

Back it all up and re-install.

5. Sim Pill thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thanks for the comments. Weird thing is I never installed paragon. I didn't know it adds this ability, but one thing for sure, is I formatted an NTFS partition just 2 weeks ago! I mean, I just did it...so... anyway
    Then I reinstalled and I couldn't. Everyone even Apple is saying this isn't possible. I guess I'll have to find out if it was Paragon that added this ability to my PC - even though I wasn't aware it was ever installed on it. Weird (yes I call my apple a PC...because it is)