Lost ability to sort a folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djxpress, Mar 5, 2012.

1. djxpress macrumors member

One of my folders lost the ability to sort somehow. The titlebar is locked and I can no longer click on it to arrange files by name.
    http://i.imgur.com/nzNTe.jpg

The weird thing is that If I create a new folder, the sort works fine. Once I create a folder with the exact name of the broken one "Nurs 300/301", the ability to sort is lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try relaunching Finder. Hold the Option key down while you right-click Finder's Dock icon and select "Relaunch". If that doesn't help, restart your computer.

3. djxpress thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Worked like a charm.

I did a system restart and it didn't work then, maybe because of Lion's resume feature?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So are you saying it worked, or it didn't? Which worked and which didn't?

5. djxpress thread starter macrumors member

Your fix worked.

Prior to your fix, I tried to do a system reboot, and that didn't fix it. I'm thinking because Lion has the feature that "resumes" everything, and Finder was restarted and "resumed" from the same broken state.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's strange. A restart should have worked, even if relaunching Finder alone didn't. Anyway, glad it worked for you!

7. f00f macrumors 65816

FWIW to the OP:

I believe you (perhaps inadvertently) set "Arrange By" to something other than "None" in that folder. When you right-click (or whatever the equivalent of control-click is on your system) in the folder you'll see an "Arrange By" menu. This is Lion's fancy-schmancy sorting (but let's not use that word since that's another menu). For example change that Arrange By to "Date Last Opened" and you should see the items in the Finder window get broken out into sections of relative days (Today, Yesterday, previous 7 days, etc). You'll also notice you lose the ability to click on the column names to sort. That's because this isn't an "assortment"; this is an "arrangement". Confusing eh?

right-click and change Arrange By back to None. You re-gain the ability to click on the column names and change the sorting. :) Now, for the hell of it, right-click in the Finder window again and while you have the little menu displayed press Option. Arrange By changes to "Sort By" giving you sorting abilities equivalent to clicking on the column names (when Arrange By is None).

Bottom line: you cannot sort when Arrange By is not set to None.