Lost ability to switch GPU with 10.5.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Picturesque, May 16, 2009.

1. Picturesque macrumors newbie

Greeting MacRumors!

Sorry if this is a known problem, I did a brief search but I don't have much time.

Since the 10.5.7 update, I have lost the ability to switch GPU's on my uMBP. The option to choose which GPU to use has vanished from energy saver and I also seem to have lost the ability to manage the screen brightness.

The on-screen graphic appears when I use the brightness keys, but it is jammed at full.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to fix it?

Regards
    Picturesque

p.s I'm fairly certain the active GPU is the 9600, just based on my framerate in WoW.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Mind posting a screen cap for us? Not really sure if I'll be able to help but there definitely others who can. Try going through the basics first like resetting PRAM, repairing permissions. How did you update to 10.5.7? Software update or delta?

3. Picturesque thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to post a screen cap, but my uMBP started to intermittently loose the ability to display a picture not long after I made this thread, the screen would just go black and only a hard reset would return picture (I'm typing from my Dad's Mac) :(

I rushed it to Micro Anvika so they could see what it was doing and it's with them now (still under their guarantee), I'll find out tomorrow/Monday what the result of them looking at it is. I tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM to no effect and booting another Leopard install of an external drive also to no effect. I updated to 10.5.7 literally yesterday, via the combo update... I'm thinking that is waaaay to much of a coincidence.

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Everything's fine and dandy on my 15".

Attached Files:

5. Picturesque thread starter macrumors newbie

So is my sister's mate.

It doesn't really prove anything either way, neither does the update to 10.5.7. What I meant was that I thought is was too coincidental for a Mac that's been perfect since day one to go bad straight after an update.

Could be it was defective all along and waiting for something to 'push it over' and .7 was that something. :)

6. philips macrumors regular

philips

ditto on my UMBP17 from signature.