Lost about 30 really important videos HELP! Can i restore them?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mossimo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mossimo macrumors member

mossimo

Hi everyone, I lost about 30 IMPORTANT videos clips. When i say lost, I mean that they were fine when i DL'd them from my camera directly to my macbook. Viewed them several time each. Now they all say 0:00 for time of clip, I can also see the preview thumbnail but when i press play it goes right to the end. A few things i noticed are that 1) they were .mov files when i first transferred them, now they are AVI's. 2) I believe this occurred shortly after i DL'd the QT update. 3) The data seems to be in tact as it is taking up space, weather or not it is corrupted is a different story. Any suggestions to help me restore these videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :confused:

2. dwwd macrumors newbie

Try renaming the file to *.mov (select the file. hit return. change the file name . hit the USE .MOV button)

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

What NLE are you using? iMovie, FCE, Premiere, or FCP? What version?

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

yeah try .mov. normally quicktime can't really play .avi files (that would explain why the files are immediately over). So I suppose you rename it to .mov
    It's a thought: maybe you should try to install perian from perian.org

5. mossimo thread starter macrumors member

mossimo

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I tried changing format .mov to no avail. Do you think the new QT update had anything to do with it? To newer the previous poster, i don't use any pro editing software at all. I am not in the video business just a everyday home video user EXCEPT this was business related videos and i cant see them,Well lesson learned, i will always opt to keep on my camera until i do a back up on HDD. I welcome any other suggestions. Keep in mind that it will immedialty skip to end of video and the timer displays 0:00 on all videos in that batch ONLY. All other vids work fine, really strange.

6. Kolind macrumors regular

Can you upload one of the videos somewhere? Then I'll try to have a look at it.