Lost access to Safari folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DocDoc, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DocDoc macrumors newbie

I have personally valuable Safari bookmarks from Leopard and Snow Leopard. Purchased an iPad for the wife, updated Safari and access to those imported folders disappeared. For example, I had a travel folder with state folders containing park and site information.

Help please. I do have the original bookmark.plist.

2. blatopilot, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

blatopilot macrumors regular

Here is an idea for the immediate term:

Go to Safari - File -> export bookmarks. Keep note of where they are exported to or chose your desktop.

Do you have another browser like Firefox or Chrome? If not get one and import your Safari bookmark file into the new browser.

Example: Open Chrome and go to bookmarks manager. Import bookmarks from html file, chose your Safari file and they will populate in chrome. This will at least get you access to them until you clear up what happened.

EDIT: Are the bookmarks links not listed in the plist? I can't remember but open the plist file in text edit and see what is in there.

3. DocDoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Bookmarks still in plist

I will try the export. and perhaps an import back. The com.apple.Safari.plist contains the bookmarks, but they are now all in one folder. Searching that folder does not work.