Lost Activity data from old phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PBGamer89, Sep 16, 2016.

1. PBGamer89 macrumors member

So i just got my 7 plus today and I did what I read on here. I unpaired the watch first, performed a full iTunes encrypted backup and then restored it onto my 7 plus and re-paired the watch.

At first my watch wasn't registered any Activity rings, no calories, exercise or stand hours. Then I restarted my watch and it gave me a prompt to set up activity and I did and then it stanrted registering my activity data, but when I went onto the Activity app on my iPhone, all my data from April 2015 to yesterday before I got my new phone is gone.

Anyway to get it back?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

From your iTunes backup (if you're sure your backup is encrypted, it will be there). Wipe the phone and restore again.

3. PBGamer89 thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to do anything with my watch? (unpair?) or just erase all content and settings from my 7 plus and restore from my encrypted 6 plus backup?

I always get weary doing restores cause I don't wanna lose stuff.

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

From your first post it looks like you unpaired your watch first before making your encrypted backup?

I created my encrypted back FIRST with my old iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch paired. Then restored the my iPhone 7 Plus from my iPhone 6 Plus. Then proceeded to pair my Watch.

I remember seeing something about resetting my Watch on my new iPhone. But I DID NOT DO THAT. I went to my old iPhone 6 Plus and unpaired it. Then it created a backup of itself? Then once it showed the fuzzy screen for scanning to pair, I did that on my iPhone 7 Plus and then paired it.

Was a long process but everything worked for me. Hope it works for you this time around.

5. matrix07, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Don't worry about the watch. It has no data anyway. The data is on your backup so just restore the phone.
    You can even wipe the watch to make sure. All of this of course IF you are sure your iTunes is encrypted and you unpaired the watch BEFORE doing back up on iTunes. If you're sure, you should get your watch data back up to that point.

The steps is like this:
    • Unpair the watch, it will create back up on your phone.
    • Back up your phone to iTunes encrypted, health data will be transferred to iTunes along with phone's.
    BUT when you unpair the watch, it will ask you to create a back up. Did you do this step?

6. PBGamer89 thread starter macrumors member

I just finished and I reset my 7 plus and restored from my last 6 plus back up that I encrypted from earlier today. Once it finished and all the apps finished downloading. I erased my watch and repaired it with my 7 plus and I checked and all my Activty data was back. I only lost yesterday's from after my 6 plus back up, which I'd rather lose one day than over 12 months of data. I don't know what happened the first time but i'm not touching anything now.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

8. macaximx macrumors 6502

I lost all of my data as well. As above, it remains on my old iPhone. When trying to restore to my new iPhone it says my backup was corrupt.

Decided to back up the old iPhone again and am now restoring to the the new iPhone after a reset. Fingers crossed.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This why I do iCloud and iTunes encrypted backups. You can never have too many. As long as you have your iPhone the data is still there.

10. macaximx macrumors 6502

It turned out to be difference in iTunes 10.0 and 10.0.1

Whew