Lost admin rights and other problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Baudie, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Baudie macrumors newbie

My biggest problem is I can't install programs. I've tryed to install bwin poker on my macbook air, but it my dear computer says I'm not able to since I don't have admin rights. But there is only me and guest as users and in grey it says that I am an admin. I've searched and found some adwise to delete some files in /library/preferences/by hosts and then delete some itool box files and then restart, but there aren't any as far as I can see and understand.

I don't know what to do....

The other problem are removing that terrible sound few seconds after turning the macbook air on - some loud dooooooong sound which I dislike. Is it possible to remove that?

Las problem sofar is to reinstall iTunes as it was on my Macbook PRO on TimeCapsule. I both got backup/copy of the itunes library, but also the normal backups from the timecapsule, but I don't know which of them to use and how?

Please help me "Obi-Wan", you are my only hope...

/Baudie

2. mufflon macrumors 6502

There were many questions in your post; I've done my best to reply to them separately. Don't panic - google or search the forums - normally you're not alone in your plight ;)

account password:
    You should be able to just insert the install cd (either the one supplied with your computer or a normal system disk depending on which one is "correct").

Apple have a helpful page with more details: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

startup sound
    If you turn of the sound before turning the computer off there won't be any start up chime. After a quick google I found http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/StartupSound/index.en.html
    I have not used it myself, so no guarantees.

Reinstalling itunes
    If the "iTunes" application is gone then you will need one of the supplied cd/dvds containing the bundled applications. Find itunes and install it from that disk. Startup itunes, which will be a "fresh" configuration - no music (presumably). Drag whatever folder you want - presumably the latest one should be the best for you (so check the last changed date of all relevant folders). If you drag from multiple folders you run the risk of getting multiple copies of each song/file (not ideal).

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

ITunes is freeware. Just go to apple siteand get the last version.

The itunes data is normally in your music/itunes directory.

4. Baudie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for trying to help, but the problem isn't that I've lost my password, but that I've lost the admin rights. So it says I am "admin", but when trying to install programs, then the computer makes problems saying that I haven't the rights to install and should be admin. But I already is locked in as admin and the only other user to log in as, is guest which won't help me.

The mute before shut down does indeed fix that noice, so gotta remember to do that.

Concerning iTunes, then I've got both a copy of my music folder from iTunes and normal backups from Time Capsule, and I'm not sure weather to use the copy or backup, since the backup is from my former computer (Macbook PRO) and my new Macbook Air needs to get all my apps and music.
    My question is if I can copy the "music" folder into iTunes or if I should use the backup from Time Capsule (which is from the macbook pro).

Thanks in advance,
    /Baudie