lost airport

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, May 9, 2011.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Setting up a new router in the house.
    I used my Mac to do it.
    Everything went well, but somehow I lost Airport.
    My wife who has a PC can log on to the new router, but I can't get Airport back.
    How can I do this??
    Thanks
    Frank

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

If you want help, you are going to have to provide the folks here with some useful information. "It doesn't work" doesn't cut it.

Need to know things like:
    What router are you using?
    How did you set it up? Security? Hidden SSID? Other settings?
    What have you done to try to resolve the issue. What are your observations when trying to resolve the issue.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Need to know things like:
    What router are you using?
    How did you set it up? Security? Hidden SSID? Other settings?
    What have you done to try to resolve the issue. What are your observations when trying to resolve the issue.<<

I popped in the install CD from the Range Plus Wireless Router model WRT 110.
    Followed on screen instruction and it seemed to work.
    It has a 26 digit password instead of the 10 I was using.
    Of course when I installed it via my Mac, I had no airport. I went to System Preferences/Network and the Airport was inactive. Followed on screen instructions and am unable to turn it on.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks
    Frank

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you mean by inactive. On that screen, I see a button that either says "Turn airport on" or "Turn airport off". I also see a status which seems to have 3 possibilities: on, off, or connected.

Where are you seeing "inactive"

Also, what is your OS version?

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

OSX 10.6.7

wow, what a day. History is that we had a DSL service that was fine for me, but not for anyone else in the house.
    Switched today to cable. Moved the modem and router to another room.
    Actually went back to my older original router that worked earlier in the day.
    So now their PC's work, but my Mac won't. Even though I have Airport back... somehow... I can see my network in the drop down file that I access from the Airport icon in the upper right of the screen. My network doesn't have the "lock" on it anymore, seems to be active, but everything just spins.
    I'm on now only because the DSL modem is in my office and I cabled it.
    I'm not sure what is going on.
    In the System Preferences/Network dialog box, on the left side of the screen, Airport said "inactive." That was with my new router. I reconnected my old router and the story is as above.

Frank

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

update. I unplugged my Mac and took it to the room where the old router is in.
    Works great.. and it works as I walk back to my office.
    I unplugged the DSL modem that is in my office too. Not connected to any router, but I don't know if there was any "interference" from that??
    So far, it seems to be working with the old router. My wife won't hear of my swapping it out for the newer router. She says if it's working don't mess with it. We'll see what happens.
    Frank