Lost all Contacts, need tips on getting them back!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shaunmanson, Jul 17, 2010.

1. shaunmanson macrumors newbie

Right so i tried to update to 4.0.1 today with my 3G, and it wouldnt be nice and got stuck so i pulled the iPhone wire out. The phone went into recovery mode when i plugged it back in and tried to restore from backup. this didnt help as it kept stopped midway through (probably cause it was a big backup) but i have a short patience, so decided to restore to defaults on my other computer.

(I run Windows on both laptop and other computer).

So yeah, it was successful in wiping my phone clean, but oh noes! ive lost all my phone numbers stored in the Contacts list.

Can anyone be my saviour and tell me how i can restore my contacts PLEASE! i really cannot be bothered retyping them all! i cant remember most of them anyway!

2. dangson macrumors newbie

If your phone has been wiped clean, you can connect it to your regular computer and it'll sync with an older backup. That's what happened when I got my new iPhone 4. It synced with an old 3GS backup.

Alternatively, you can import contacts from your SIM card if you've saved them to there. Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Import SIM Contacts.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its called restore from backup.
    Right click on your iphone icon on the left of the screen when connected to itunes and then go thru the process.
    It will put everything back the way it was.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+ ^^^ Just did this with my wife's iPhone 4; only takes about 20 minutes...:cool:

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can’t save contacts to an iPhone sim.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats correct.
    Only if you had any other non-iphone cell that saved the contacts on the sim you could then stick the sim in the iphone and import them.

7. shaunmanson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thanks bud. Got them all back and my phone is running like a dream Cheers.