Lost all contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cynics, Mar 20, 2014.

1. cynics, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

cynics macrumors G3

I was in the middle of a text convo and my contacts turned to numbers. Check contacts and it's just my phone number no names, emails, etc.

I still have my contacts on my Mac. How do I transfer them to by iPhone.

iCloud contacts is still on so it should be refreshing them.

I never even heard of this happening.

2. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Restart your phone

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This, or just turn icloud contacts off and then back on.

4. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Restarting the phone and resetting the phone did not help. I tried turning on and off contacts in iCloud.

Finally I gave up and restored the phone from new. I had already saved my contacts as a PDF and I was going to reenter them manually. However once I restored and turned on contacts in iCloud all my contacts repopulated.

I've been meaning to restore as new for a while now so now was as good as time as any. A little bit confused to why I just suddenly lost ALL my contacts though. Not very reassuring thats for sure, luckily I wasn't away on a business trip. I'll need to carry around a list of my contacts now at work....

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Well the good news is you got them back. I guess it makes sense to always keep a copy stored locally. I would sign into icloud.com and export a copy to your computer just in case.

6. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Ya I even printed off a PDF just in case.

Strange that happened though. I was in the middle of a text when all of a sudden boom all the names turned to phone numbers. No contacts at all.

I probably could have figured it out but I've been looking to do a full restore anyway. Went fairly smoothly, except now my Mac refuses to sync messages. Figure that one out later.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I wouldn't recommend manua entry on the device as such contacts are a pain to manage. Syncing from and account is definitely the way to go unless one has an overriding reason to do otherwise.

Printed PDF is a good safety precaution but you might want to consider an electronic backup that doesn't require manual re-entry for restoring as well.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You do know that you can access iCloud (aka MobileMe) Online. There you can click onto your Address Book. Open Safari - go to www.icloud.com I've been backing up my Address book for a long time too. I don't want to loose my numbers.

I've had a few friends that this has happened to. weird very weird.