Lost All Data on Ext Hard Drive During PC to Mac Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by switchernoo, Jan 19, 2008.

1. switchernoo macrumors newbie

New macbook user since Christmas and not a technical person--struggling through alot of data transfer since new year. Mostly successful until today. Yesterday, transferred iTunes folder from PC to External Seagate Hard Drive, plugged harddrive into my Macbook Pro, transferred successfully and now NO data on the Seagate.

Cannot read the Seagate from the Mac (although I could when I transferred the iTunes folder yesterday); CAN read the Seagate from the PC, however, no files are there. We had tons of photos, videos, personal data on the hard drive. I'm in the doghouse right now, so please let me know if there's anyway I can recover or if I just learned a easy lesson the hard way.

Thank you for reading this and if you can help!

Success! Recovered Files/Learned A Lot
    I recovered the data with File Scavenger (Windows //www.quetek.com/prod02.htm) . Because the PC could still read the external drive, I was able to purchase and use a program called File Scavenger to recover 360+GB data. Although some of the lost data had been copied, much had been moved from old machines, so there were no other copies--luckily this recovery worked. Thank you to those who reached out to help and I hope this might help others.

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Did you move your stuff from the PC to the Seagate, or copy it?

I presume you moved it, which is why you're in the doghouse. :(

SL

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. Ignore me, I'm not being helpful. Hope you get your stuff back.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

it sounds like the drive is dead. But you could try http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/ hopefully something just went wrong with the partition maps. But it sounds like its dead. Does it make any clicking sounds?