Lost all hard drive partitions after Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by D A, Jun 26, 2010.

1. D A macrumors regular

I just booted into Windows and saw that there were some Windows Updates available and it asked me to reboot the computer however it failed to boot into Windows. So I restarted and tried to boot into OS X instead, but that didn't work either.

So I put in the OS X install DVD and checked out Disk Utility. Turned out that all my partitions where screwed up. There were 3 partitions listed as Windows_ldm, with incorrect sizes (I had 4 partitions before).

Long story short: I'm now reinstalling OS X and I lost everything I had on the drive, I think. I'll try some restore software once I've gotten OS X installed.

A little pissed right now... How the heck can Windows F up the entire drive?

2. ahm macrumors member

That's strange. I just installed Windows 7 and all of the updates and did not encounter such a problem. Could it be something else that caused it?

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You didn't change the drive letters for the OS X partitions while in windows did you. As you can see here, that will mess up partition table.

Cheers,