lost all music, photos, and email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidsindenver, May 14, 2008.

1. davidsindenver macrumors newbie

While working on my one year old Macbook, I noticed that things started moving slower and finally froze. A "force quit" wouldn't work, so I did a hard shut down by holding the button down.
    When things came back on, my desktop was blank, my dock was empty save the standard things, and my dashboard only had the factory installed things. My IPhoto, IMusic, and Entourage files were all empty BUT my documents file was all still there, including some music that I had accidentally left in there and not yet moved to IMusic. (Thank God).
    I can't find the lost music, photos, and email anywhere.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of strange restart? It almost looks like I'm in another new user account, but I only have my one user account on the computer.

New to Mac here and was, until now, very happy with the choice.

davidsindenver

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you look under 'Users' in the root of your drive... is there only one user folder?

3. davidsindenver thread starter macrumors newbie

response to previous question

I'm not sure what you mean by "root of the drive." Nor do I see any area called "Users"
    But in my finder I have desktop, davidshneer, applications, and pictures and was told by our administrator that "davidshneer" is the only user.

4. davidsindenver thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Our system administrator found the photos and music buried randomly in some strange file, but cannot recover the lost emails. He doesn't know how, but somehow the computer seems corrupted to him. In his words, "I've never seen a Mac do this."
    I'll admit, a bit disappointing to have my first Mac have the same problems that PCs had.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Unfortunately .... any computer can break ... Mac or PC.

You can restore from your backup. You, of course, back up often right?

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Rather than lose faith in the Mac, I would lose faith in your 'administrator'......:( I don't think he knows what he is doing.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

He found the guys missing files so he must know something , right ?

Is Leopard on the machine ?

8. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Sorry, didn't mean to come across so aggressive.:)

9. davidsindenver thread starter macrumors newbie

files

Yes, he found the files, although he claims they were sitting there the whole time. Yes, I back up my documents, but hadn't backed up the music and photos, which will be done immediately.
    Bigger question...all of the software reloaded as if from scratch. This meant I had to redrag music files in ITunes, photos into IPhoto, etc. For Entourage, I've lost email, settings, addresses, etc. Fortunately most of it is backed up in my blackberry, but any idea on where to find that material?

10. davidsindenver thread starter macrumors newbie

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

no need to apologize to me ~ I didnt take it as aggressive at all just thought it odd as the guy found some files for him that's all .no worries :)

to the Op I was hoping Time Machine might have helped some way

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Geez ... kinda too complicated to describe via this forum. You really need to find a technician that can help you with your problem.

Cheers.

P.S. There are different versions of OS X that each have a different "name" (e.g Tiger, Leopard).
    :)