lost all my contacts after downgrade to ios 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bkabbabe, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bkabbabe macrumors newbie

I downgraded my phone from ios 4.1 to 4.0 to be able to unlock it; however, now i lost all of my contacts and text msgs; whenever i try to retrieve from back up on itunes i get an error message " itunes could not restore the iphone because the back up was corrupt or not compatible with the iphone is being restored"

I followed some other website which said that I should go to the back up file and change the version number from 4.1 to 4.0 so itunes can read it after i did that itunes read my iphone but cant restore

Can someone please help!!!!

2. Lambros macrumors regular

Apple has made it so that the restores of your iPhone are ONLY compatible with iOS 4.1 or greater. So, one thing you can do to get them back is upgrade to 4.1, then save them online somewhere like Google. When done, downgrade to 4.0 again, and get them off Google servers (assuming you don't want to write them all down on a piece of paper).

3. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

Or you can download contactsync and it's free..it
    Syncs ur contacts to server and u can retrieve it to other phone or downgraded version

4. Oolankalouphid macrumors newbie

Figured out how to restore apps after downgrade

In the backup file directory modify the info.plist
    You must change the <key>Build Version</key> string as well as the <key>Product Version</key>
    I went from 4.1 to 3.1.1 and restored fine.
    My strings look like this:
    <key>Build Version</key>
    <string>7E18</string>

<key>Product Version</key>
    <string>3.1.3</string>

If this has already been covered just ignore my post and dont flame/whine/etc because it wont bother me and I wont change my ways. As a matter of fact I will probably reply in CAPS just to be annoying.
    If you want to post a link to another topic saying something about searching the forums first, just go stick your head in a wet paper bag and your towel will be revoked.