Lost all my iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mokeiko, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I reinstalled OSX and also wiped out my iPhone. I do not have any backups. When I plugged my iPhone and connected to iTunes, the only app that showed up was Crosswords. I purchased about ten apps for the iPhone. What happened to the rest of the apps and why was Crosswords the only app remembered from itunes. Will I have to re-purchase the rest of my apps? thanks for any help.

mokeiko

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Are you positive you logged into the same iTunes account all of your purchases were made on?:confused:

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, go into iTunes Preferences and go to Syncing iPhone and you should have at least one back-up. Like "motoracer" says ^^^ make sure you're logged-on under your account, since reinstalling the OS may have logged you out. Keep us advised...

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't have practical experience but did some Googling and found many threads that claim the App Store remembers your purchases and allows you to download them again at no charge. I am interested in this thread as I often wipe and reinstall the OS.

If I am wrong then please, please let me know before I wipe my system. :)

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

You can re-download any apps you have already purchased from the App store for free.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No, I think you are correct, the OP did a reinstall of Mac OS X, so what probably happened is the reinstall made his iTunes remove his account ID and password, so the OP just needs to log on.

7. mokeiko thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I am logged in to my iTunes account but like I mentioned before, only the Crosswords was downloaded when I went to the "check for purchases" under the "store" menu in iTunes. I did get the following message:

"All purchases have been downloaded for this account"

You can use a cd, dvd or shared folders on your local network to transfer them to another computer"

When I go to the App Store and go to one of the apps that was purchased before, it says "Buy App". I sure would hate to purchase them all over again.

mokeiko

8. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha PNutts,

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to constantly reinstalll Mac OS X? I was a long-time Windows user (that finally saw the light in 2006 :D), so I'm used to that way of thinking. Once I made the conversion, however, I've not had to wipe out my Mac OS install except once, which was entirely due to me mucking around in things of which I had little knowledge (at that time - now I'm a bit more knowledgeable :))

I did a clean install for Leopard, but that was due to me wanting a fresh start and having everything backed up to an external drive anyway, but really, Mac OS X is far more stable for me than Windows XP, to include the 3rd party apps as well.

I don't want to come off as sounding harsh; I'm just a bit curious.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get a copy of your receipts from your email account and speak with AppleCare Support Tech. I've kept all of my app receipts, hopefully you've done the same. This one is "one tough cookie." :confused:

10. mokeiko thread starter macrumors 6502

I've lost all my email too. When I log into my iTunes, it does show my purchase history. I could probably make a screenshot of it since that is the only proof I have left.

mokeiko

11. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

12. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

As I said before, you can re-download any app you have purchased from the App store for free.

Make sure you are logged into the iTunes account you made original purchase with.

Click on "Buy" and enter your account password. It will look like it is about to download the App and then the following message will appear "You have already purchased this item. To download it again for free, select ok".

Select "OK".

Edit: Note: The above method was all done through the iPhone itself.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Pleasure! It is very rare that I am able to help anyone on these boards :)

15. mokeiko thread starter macrumors 6502

mouchoir,

That seemed to be the ticket for me also, I have all my apps back. A big thank you. :)

mokeiko

16. maokh macrumors 6502

The problem is, sometimes iTunes does not actually backup all of your purchases.

My iphone bricked on sync today, and not only did itunes not sync apps properly, but some purchases last night did not even have the chance to sync.