Lost all my old Time Machine Backups after installing 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wehokev, Oct 8, 2009.

1. wehokev macrumors member

wehokev

I installed snow leopard on both my Aluminum 24" 2.4 gHz (late 2007) iMac and my MBA (early 2008).

I lost all the the old dates in Time Machine on my MBA but not on my iMac. Basically, I only have backups for the MBA since the upgrade. Why would the old backups disappear?

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. tongteh macrumors 6502

i might have the same problem before.. what happened to mine was after installing SL, time machine will try to backup the entire system again. This will require a large storage space, and may delete you previous backups..

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

How did you do the SL installs? Upgrades or clean installs?

If it was a clean install then TM will backup everything again. If it was an upgrade then TM should only backup about 9GB of data that first backup in SL.

Where are you not seeing the dates....in the TM interface or through the Finder. I've noticed that TM in SL can be flaky at times. Sometimes if I go into the TM interface, I only see some of the dates listed. If I exit and go back in, they all appear. Check the files on the drive itself to see if they are really gone.

-Kevin

4. wehokev thread starter macrumors member

wehokev

The backups seem to be back

I did an upgrade, not a clean install. The first backup after installing Snow Leopard (10.6) was about 8 gb. So this was not an issue of the sparse bundle being deleted and recreated.

The hard drive hosting both Time Machine sparse bundles has 165 gb free, so space was not an issue.

I am thinking what happened was the network connection was temporarily lost at the exact time I opened Time Machine interface. My Time Machine hard drive is attached directly to my Airport Extreme and I connect to it wirelessly from my MBA. When I started my MBA this morning and opened the Time Machine interface I saw all the dates back to when I first purchased the MBA.

What is odd is that I would have expected to see an error from Time Machine interface yesterday saying, "can't connect to the Time Machine hard drive" or something like that.

Even though the dates showed up this morning, the interface was sluggish. Maybe there are some bugs in Time Machine that Snow Leopard introduced???

Since I didn't see any other similar posts, I was pretty sure it was not a widespread problem. Therefore, I am especially grateful for the responses. Thanks!

Cheers,

-kevin