Lost all my settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rediffusion, Aug 27, 2007.

1. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

I just booted my G4 and all my setting have been lost. Many application icons from the dock have disappeared although the applications themselves have not been deleted. Items from my desktop have also disappeared.
    What's going on?!?!?
    Can anybody help?

thanks,
    Rich :(

Hardware Overview:
    Machine Name: Power Mac G4
    Machine Model: PowerMac3,4
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (11.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 533 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 896 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHzPlease
    Boot ROM Version: 4.1.8f5

2. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

No

I cleared my iTunes preferences earlier as I was having problems with it. Could that be the problem?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends how you cleared them... What exactly have you done recently on this machine?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Either renamed the user folder
    or renamed or moved or deleted the Library folder
    or renamed or moved or deleted the Library: Preferences folder

d'you want to lay bets, MJ?

No offense intended, Rich, but you're not exactly the first person to post this same problem. Or the 100th for that matter. The odds on favorite is renaming the default User folder -- that results in the loss of the Desktop items and all custom changes you have made to the Dock, and disapparates the contents of your Documents and Mail.

Basically, you should not rename, move or delete any folder that OSX creates automatically.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I went for Home folder but was apparently wrong. The good news is that once we work out what has been renamed, it should be very easy to fix. :D

6. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

Thanks for all your advice but still no luck.

This is what I've done....

I have a new iPhone and was having problems getting my G4 to recognize it when connected. I looked around for an answer and read that deleting the iTunes preferences may help. I did this and restarted but it still didn't work. I then tried it again plus also deleted the iPod prefs. I also ran disk utilities and Disk Warrior 4. I also created an alias to my Preference folder and moved it to the desktop.

That's all I did. In the Users folder there are 2 folders, 'Shared' & 'rich'. I didn't rename either and no new user folders have appeared. I have only deleted prefs from the Users>rich>Library>Preferences folder.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Rich

7. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

I can still find my original desktop folder in Users>User Guides and Information>Users>rich
    This also includes these folders:
    Public
    Applications
    Sites
    Pictures
    Library
    Documents
    Desktop
    Music
    Movies

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Problem: IF that was all you did, then there is no way that could have created the symptoms you describe.

So, you must have done something else to cause it, perhaps without knowing it. Are you sure it is the alias of the Preferences folder you moved to the desktop, and not the real thing?

Somehow you have made your Library and/or User folder inaccessible to your OS.

Are you sure you are logged in as rich?

9. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

I'm pretty certain that's all I did. I remember Firefox came up with a strange message and then crashed just before all this happened. Could that have caused it?

Rich

10. Edot macrumors 6502

I'm just amused that you used the word 'disapparates' in normal conversation, and without comment until now. Unless...

Wow, am I the only muggle on these boards... :eek:

11. rediffusion thread starter macrumors regular

rediffusion

I have seemed to have fixed it.

I noticed that all my usual User info was in Users>User Guides and Information>Users>rich

I backed up the Users>>rich folder and copied the contents of Users>User Guides and Information>Users>rich into the Users folder.

I restarted and everything seemed to be back to normal. I'm pretty sure I didn't move my 'rich' user folder.

Am I OK doing this? I have noticed the computer is a bit slow since doing this. At one stage Entourage was saying there wasn't enough memory to display certain emails.

What does everybody think?

thanks in advance for your advice,
    Rich ;)

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It seemed disappropriate.