Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devincco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Hi all

Need some help troubleshooting a strange issue. This afternoon my Macbook Pro lost all internet connectivity. I can see wireless networks, connect to the networks, pull an IP address, but when I open Safari or Firefox it will not open any websites. iTunes or the App store will not load either. I've checked the hosts file to make sure nothing has been changed and it looks clean. There aren't any proxy settings in the browsers or under Network connections setup either. I run Norton AntiVirus (free form Comcast) and nothing strange has popped up there either. At the suggestion of a couple of other forums and posts I've reset the SMC and PRAM and that did not help. Does anyone have any suggestions on where else to look and what else to try? I'd like to resolve without reloading the OS if at all possible.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Hosts file?!? If ur messing with that who knows what u got in there.

Ur all over the place, lets focus.

Maybe your Internet is down? Can you talk to any local boxes?

Step#1: I would open my System Information, then under network, the wireless adapter, and check that all my IPs are what they are suppose to be.

In the Network Utility widget of course got the basic tools for network troubleshooting.

devincco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
160GB SSD or 750GB 7200RPM replacement drive?

Well, here's an update. This morning the machine wouldn't boot up. It would load about 25% then shut itself off. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM again to no avail. I tried booting into safe mode and nada. I did more research and others that experienced the same thing were repairing disk permissions as they got damaged somehow. So I booted off the Mountain Lion installer disk I created and tried to repair the permissions. I received an error stating that the permission can't be fixed and to back up the data, format the drive, reinstall the OS and restore the data. So, I have taken a disk image of the current drive and will be pulling it out and replacing it with a different drive.

My current options are 160GB SSD or a 750GB 7200RPM drive since they are easily available and in my budget and since this is an older machine I don't want to spend too much money fixing it. I do run a couple of VM's so the speed of the SSD will help with that. But 750GB is a lot of storage and more than I probably need at the moment. My current drive is 320GB and has/had about 30GB free. But about 90GB of that was music which is all synched up with iTunes match now. There's also 40-50 GB of other files that I have in other places that I do not need on this drive. So with a little more cleanup I might be fine with a 160GB SSD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.