Lost all non-purchased songs from Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by indy42, Dec 17, 2009.

1. indy42 macrumors newbie

Everything was fine - but then today, I was trying to download a podcast (Inglourious Basterds podcast). The ipod went to sleep for a bit. When I opened it up again, and went to music, I saw for some reason an album flash, then when I went back to home screen, then back to music, all my songs and movies that were not purchased (everything NOT in the "purchased" playlist, plus my purchased podcasts were still there) were gone. :eek:

I don't understand what happened, especially since the ipod still says that there's only 30 mbs left - with only 4 songs and 3 podcasts.:confused:

Could anyone help me with this?

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Is you complete music and app collection still present in iTunes on your personal computer?

If so, you could just click the "Restore" button in iTunes while it's connected to your iPod through the dock connector. It will wipe the iPod's existing content, and then give you the option of either restoring from a backup or starting from scratch as though it was a brand new iPod.

3. indy42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the restore wipe the operating system as well? Will it restore back to 1.1.1.?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Restoring an iPod will not revert to an earlier incarnation of the OS. It will only stay at the same version or update. If you have 3.1, and then restore, it'll probably update to 3.1.2.