Lost all of my apps? forever?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fireshot91, Oct 10, 2008.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I jailbroke ,installed Categories, un-jailbroke, restored as new FW, jailbroke, installed Categories, made it the same name..where are my apps? iTunes says that my apps are on the phone, but I don't see them...:(

2. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

EXACT same thing happened to me last week; i ended up restoring as new phone.

(do you also have BossPrefs running? If so , check and see if you Poofed the icons perhaps?)

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yep, it's all "poofed" away. I poofed my Cydia and Boss Preference, so I had to SFU and Quickpwn and load my profile afterward.

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I did have BossPreffs, but I didn't have them Poofed. I know that because right before I restored, I clicked on the apps and games folders, and they were theyer...

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Categories uses Poof, so you were indirectly poofed away!

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

So...how do I get them back?
    please tell me not as a restore as a new phone..that is very VERY not possible for me..I have to much contacts that I don't remember that aren't on my SIM card, they're stored on my phone..and I have VISTA so i can't do anyhting..plus other stuff..can I downloaded/install BossPrefs and then unpoof the apps?

7. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

iTunes will backup your contacts, make sure you allow it to though. :cool:

8. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

its not just my contacts..its everything else on the phone. is there a way I can not restore? and still keep my apps..or un-poof?

9. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

I love and still use the Categories ap but it's scary at what it is possible of doing to your phone.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Remember to unpoof before you restore, that's for sure. I poofed everything and did a non-DFU restore, I ended up with nothing on my springboard. It was fun, good thing I kept my phone icon on dock, else I couldn't even make phone calls.

Ps, to fix everything. DFU restore the phone, re-quickpwn and make sure you add boss preference to the home button, and then you can load back your backup profiles. Your apps are all there, just that they're poofed away.

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, my BossPrefs is still showing, I didn't put that in categories..do I still need to DFU restore? that takes WAYYY to much time/energy to do lol. any other ways if I have a categories app, and a bosspreffs app, and stuff?

okay, I did what you said..but how do I get my apps back..they aren't there..:/

wait..i lied..I'm kinda doing it right now..but shouldn't I restore from backup BEFORE installing the ...BossPrefs..and I JUST realized I made a backup right before I un-jailbroke it(put it in DFU mode like you said and recovered)

12. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

aiite, sorry for the double post..but, just thought yall should know. I got the ALoD and then I restored to Stock FW, then re-pwnd, then restored from my backup...can I get my apps back somehow? WITHOUT restoring as a new phone?

nvm fixed it..lol

13. marioagahan macrumors newbie

lost apps due to restoring / gps signal

I don't usually post threads but when I was looking for help regarding my lost apps, this site came up so I thought i'd try and help a few peeps.

Basically my Iphone is jailbroken on firmware 3.1.2. and installed catagories through cydia which kept all my apps in order.

Everything was perfect with my phone apart from recently when i suddenly couldn't pick up a gps through google maps and tomtom.

Reading something said I had to restore settings to get my gps to work but by doing so messed up my applications in the folders and I lost them all.

I thought all was lost but it seemed they were just hidden within the phone. This is what i did to get my apps back::

1. Press the home button to search the phone.

2. Type 'sb settings'

3. Within Sb settings click the hide icons

4. Turn all the apps toggles ON and Hey presto!! your apps are back on the home screen.

I've only tested this on my own so I can't guarantee this will work for everyone but please let me know if this does.

ps. If anybody had a similar problem with their gps signal that they have now resolved please let me know

Cheers..

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have to take your apps out of Categories folders when you restore or un-jailbreak.

Go to settings, General, restrictions.

Enable restrictions, then close out. Go back in and disable restrictions.

Hopefully that will bring them all back to the springboard.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What is so hard about this? When you create categories using Categories, the apps you put in them are hidden from your Spring Board. If you are going to uninstall categories, you have to remove all apps from all your categories before you do so, or they will remain hidden.