Lost Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Retrospectic, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Retrospectic macrumors member

Hey Guys,

a few minutes ago i was cleaning up my dock, i pulled garageband off and then noticed i still needed it there, so i went into my applications folder to try and find it, but it's not there?

ive used spotlight search and looked in a fair few folders - including the recycling bin, and cannot find it. Ive also tried opening some of the files ive made with it and they open in quicktime and says the document cannot be opened.

Please dont say reinstall iLife 09, i bought it from a guy on ebay with it preinstalled; but he never sent the disks.

Thanks in advance.
    Alex

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like you are SOL

If you are opening the files and they won't open in GB, it is likely no longer on your computer

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Retrospectic thread starter macrumors member

is there any way to get it back? i havent restarted or anything.

Alex

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Stuff on the dock is just an alias (basically): the app cannot ever be actually stored there. It has to be on your system somewhere if all you did was that. Of course if you deleted it from Applications or similar then you really are out of luck.

5. Retrospectic thread starter macrumors member

i done this before, and i went into applications and dragged it from there onto the dock.. it still showed up in applications folder though? and now it's gone :S

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you still have the gray restore DVDs use the second one to install iLife applications.

7. Retrospectic thread starter macrumors member

it only came with a snow leopard disk...

Alex

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, didn't read that.

What about looking for the restore DVDs on eBay? But you have to be sure they are for your model, so an iMac DVD won't work on a MacBook, and an iMac 7.1 DVD won''t work for an iMac 7.2.