Lost apps after restore, now have to pay

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dde0485, Oct 10, 2012.

1. dde0485 macrumors newbie

I had an issue with apps saying something about push notifications and the dialogue box wouldn't go away. After some research I backed up to the cloud (yes I made sure it was a current back up) and restored. Once it completed the ipad had none of my apps on it so I manually clicked through the apps within itunes to reload them. A TON of them are missing including Pages, Numbers, and Good Reader. I'm sure there are more that I haven't realized yet. Anyways, I researched this problem and the only advice I saw from anyone was to go into the app store and re-install the apps just as if you had deleted them, went to do that and instead of it saying "install" it has the price's on there making me repurchase them. Any ideas of how to fix this very annoying problem? Thanks everyone

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Tap to install as usual, if you paid under this Apple ID, you won't be charged again.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you bought it with your account info it should show up as paid and you can download the app whenever you want. If the app was downloaded with another account then yeah you'll have to pay for it. :p

4. dde0485 thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely DLed them with this account. Is it normal to show the price again like this though? Don't wanna screw myself out of $25! Also, when I do redownload them how do I get their contents back? I had a lot of stuff in Good Reader that I don't have backed up anywhere else (that I know of)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Go to the App Store App. Go to the Purchased tab. Go to "Not on This iPad". You should be able to re-download whatever apps you desire.

6. dde0485 thread starter macrumors newbie

Worked! I'm sure the other ways would have worked too, this was handy as showing a list cause I found a few others I forgot about. All of the good reader contents were there too thank God. Thanks guys!

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For future information, when you restore from iCloud, right after it finishes restoring, a pop-up dialogue box should show up asking you to enter the password for your iTunes account. If you are not paying attention and you dismiss the dialogue box without entering your password, your apps won't redownload. So you need to be very careful and watch out for that dialogue box. Once you enter your password, put down your device and walk away for a few hours -- depending on how many app you have, it can take a while for them to all redownload, and sitting there watching might tempt you to fiddle with the apps, thus interrupting the process. I just go eat a meal, or start restoring before I go to bed so it'll be done in the morning.

8. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

^ THAT

on a side note restoring your entire iPad via iCloud is tedious. if i know i am exchanging an iPad etc, i will back it up manually on iTunes just bc of how quicker it is to restore. takes ~5-10 mins to fully restore an iPad with 5.8GB of apps

now if your iPad was dropped into a pool and you didn't have a chance to back it up on iTunes, then yea...iCloud Restore is what you have to do haha