Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocky892

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Dear Forum:

I went to update my iPhone in iTunes for the first time. I updated firmware. However it did a backup beforehand. Now several apps are missing.

It was jailbroken and using apps like Cydia.

Also I cannot use the phone at all.

I am not sure on how to proceed here. I have an iPhone with ATT and there is never a problem.

Please help re: restoring apps and phone service. I would be extremely grateful.

Rocky

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jailbreaking doesn't survive the iPhone being updated via iTunes. Depending on how you unlocked your phone, unlocking may not, either. Which iPhone do you have?

If you have the original iPhone, then what you need to do is download Pwnage tool, create a Pwn'ed version of the firmware version you want using it, and install that onto the phone in DFU mode. The phone will then be unlocked and jailbreaked again.

Unless you used a Cydia-based backup program to backup Cydia apps, they and their settings are gone, but you can get your phone working again....

I'm not sure how you got this far without being aware of all this?

rocky892

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Tmobile iPhone

Dear Moderator:

Thank you for your response. This phone is not the first gen. It is the second or next to last.

Can I still jailbreak this phone with the package?

Thank you very much for your help.

Rocky

ILikeToJB

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
Its kind of obvious that updates patch exploits...so now, you can only resort to joining the AT&T network using a prepaid card after 6 months of activation of the SIM card, a GoPhone SIM card, or an actual plan. This is if you have a 3G or 3GS. You're Jailbreak, like said before in post #2, did not survive the update, nor did your unlock. If you were using a 3GS, and did not have your SHSH's saved on Cydia, then you will not be able to Jailbreak, and have lost those apps until a few days when the Spirit Jailbreak is released. An unlock wont be here until 4.0, most likely, 'cause who would want to waste an exploit on 3.1.3, when they can use it on the 4.0 firmware, which will be preloaded onto the next generation iPhone? So yes, this is good advice for you to remember not to update! Thats the worst thing you can do if you're not on an official carrier.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thank you for your response. This phone is not the first gen. It is the second or next to last.

Can I still jailbreak this phone with the package?

You'll have to be more specific... is it a 3G or a 3GS? What version of firmware did you install? And what is the boot loader version (see here)?

Depending on what you have and what you did, it may or may not be possible to unlock your phone again at this time (as the above poster said, pending a new unlock tool).

rocky892

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Tmobile iPhone Unlock

Dear Mohan:

I had installed version 3.1.3. The phone is a 3G.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Rocky

ILikeToJB

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
You can Jailbreak but not unlock. You need to use redSn0w 0.9.4 and direct it to the 3.1.2 firmware file. You then need to obtain a working AT&T SIM card so you can start using your phone again.

rocky892

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Tmobile iPhone lost Apps

Dear Moderator:

Actually from what I know know I was just thinking of taking the phone to ATT for an ATT plan and card

I would of course assume that is feasable.

Thank You!

Rocky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.