Lost apps. please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samh0, Sep 24, 2011.

1. samh0 macrumors newbie

Ok, so i cant find some of my apps. I dragged safari along with maschine(a music recording program) to the dock. From the dock, i tried to drag these apps on to the desktop, but all that did was remove them from the dock as they dissolved away on the desktop screen. Now, when i search the entire computer or apps in the finder, i am finding the content folders of safari and maschine, but i have completely lost the actual applications themselves.
    Please help me get my applications back!
    Thanks in adavance,

Sam

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

All you did was remove them from your dock, if you want them on your desktop drag them there from finder, you missing some info in your story if dragging them from your dock to desktop deleted them

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Dragging something from Dock removes it from the Dock. It's technically only an Alias (a shortcut in Win speak) that's in the Dock, so that when it's removed it's only the Alias not the actual file (App, Doc, etc.) that's removed the original still live in it's original location.

As far as Safari goes it should be in the Applications folder. It's a package file so there shouldn't be a folder for it. To get to it directly click the Finder in the Dock. When Finder opens, in the Sidebar click on Macintosh HD (or what ever your hard drive is called) then click on Applications folder. These are all your Applications installed on your Mac, Safari should be there, just scroll down till you find it and then drag it to the Dock. If you want it on the Desktop, Control click on Safari (in the Applications folder) and select Make Alias, once the Alias is made drag the Safari alias to the Desktop. Repeat the same steps for Maschine.

4. samh0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it. However, i tried these steps with no avail. The apps are not anywhere to be found on the computer. Dragging them to the desktop really does appear to have completely wiped out the apps from the computer. I searched the finder. I searched everything. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've never heard of this happening before. You can download Safari from here and then reinstall it as far as Maschine is concerned you'll have to reinstall if from the original discs or install file.

6. samh0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man. This sucks because now i have to find my original maschine disks, serial number etc.. But im on a different computer now. I literally can not get on the internet to even get to the safari link you just posted. Is there a way around that? Could i find safari in the app store?

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't think Safari is available from the Mac App Store, but since the MAS is on the internet that wouldn't work either if you can't get to the internet.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I just realized what you meant by not being able to get to the internet. You can't get on the internet because you don't have Safari. I'm not having a very good day. Sorry.

Here's the link itself http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ if you can get to it with another computer you should be able to download it to a flash drive and then install it on your Mac from there.