Lost as to how to Burn best quality DVD - iDVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by meagain, Dec 3, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

I've been struggling with this for seemingly days. All I want to do is dump an iMovie project to a standard DVD in the best quality it could possibly handle (for replay in a standard DVD player).

I can't figure out how to get all these iDVD Themes out of my way. I don't want them. LOL I cannot figure this out. The movie is a concert done in 24mbps 1080 and I want good sound quality. It's about 35-40 min. long.

Any advice on how I can quickly dump this to DVD at best quality without Themes or jumping through hoops? I'd appreciate.

2. lostless macrumors 6502

I dont think there us a way to make a DVD with iDVD without a menu. You may have to buy toast such will make a DVD without a menu. Also the free program ffmpeg will make a DVD without a menu, but it's not very intuitive. I think mpeg streamclop will do this as well. Not quite sure.
    Also from what I read, you say it was a 1080 video. Just note that DVDs are only capable of 480p. You will loose the hd and the video will be converted to sd.
    As for sound quality, you want to use pcm and not ac3 (dolby digital) since PCM I'ms uncompressed.

3. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you. I played around with iDVD some more. Also bought Toast but haven't yet tried it. I'm finding it all very complicated.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

What codec is the 1080i footage? HDV, AVCHD, or something else?

5. Joelye macrumors newbie

Hi,

Easiest and quickest way (takes a little time the first time) is to make your own theme, which version of IDVD are you on ???

We log and burn HDV footage straight to DVD for clients that just want to view what has been recorded, simple process really

Share with IDVD
    Use your template (set up to just play)
    Burn
    Finished

6. theoz macrumors newbie

OneStep in iDVD

In iDVD 08 you can select File->"OneStep DVD From Movie" after launch (Ignore the theme - it will not be used). It will then prompt you to select a movie file to import. I was able to just create a DVD with a movie playing immediately in the DVD player - no menus.