Lost Audio on G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by michelle2317, Jul 31, 2008.

1. michelle2317 macrumors newbie

I have no audio on my G5 today. I hear the chord when I restart the machine, but cannot get any audio. When I hit the audio keys I get a circle with a slash through it under the audio icon on the screen. I-Tunes doesn't work, either. I click on a song or radio station and nothing happens. It stays in a pause mode.

Yesterday I accessed a radio station from shoutcast.com and a file with a .pls extension was left on my desktop. Everything worked fine until this morning.

Any ideas?

Michelle

2. jroller macrumors regular

Check in your system preferences to see what your settings are in the Sound preference pane. Look under the Output settings.

3. michelle2317 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lost Audio on G5

I did check the system preferences - just neglected to say that! No luck.

4. jroller macrumors regular

Hmm... ok... you might try running fsck (file system check) on boot to see if it finds anything; see the fix my mac link in my sig, there is an explanation about how to do it there about halfway down the page.

5. jroller macrumors regular

After looking around a bit, I came up with this:

OK, problem solved. After replacing the audio core framework (see above) and rebooting, I removed /Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
    then restarted again, then plugged in headphones and started playing Itunes, and adjusted the audio output level on the sound controll panel is system preferences, then unplugged the headphones, and magically, the built-in speakers started working again. Go figure.

It was here.