Lost audio when FF MP4 files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jwatc75, May 27, 2014.

1. jwatc75 macrumors newbie

I created MP4 files from family VHS tapes. I used handbrake and then movie maker (windows). I loaded the mp4's onto new portable Seagate HD (USB3.0) and then plugged HD into blue-ray player for playback on TV. The mp4's are between 2-9gb in size. I can play the files but if I fast forward and start playing again I lose the audio. I've tried pausing it to see if audio comes back but it doesn't. Are my video files to big? Any other suggestions?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Sounds like the problem is the Blu-ray player, not the files. If they play just fine without fast-forwarding, then the files are fine.

Why the two-step process using Handbrake and Movie Maker, or are you just making MP4 files using two separate programs? If that's the case, it points the finger at the Blu-ray player even more.

If you're looking to present these files, an Apple TV box or even a Roku (with USB port) might work better than your Blu-ray player.

3. jwatc75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I used movie maker because there was some small editing that I wanted to do prior to making final mp4. For instance there was bad footage from original VHS tape ie. snow, that I wanted to edit out to make it better viewing.

I'm doing this for the in-laws and purchased them the portable HD already. They had the blue-ray (LG purchased in 2011) player which says it can play mp4's and many other formats. Would just like to find a work-around that wouldn't include purchasing something else. I've never worked with Roku but can see I could get them one for $49, but then I'm not sure about their wireless strength at TV (it's not smart) so then I can foresee me buying them wireless range extender/router. This has turned into much larger project than I had envisioned lol.

Thanks for help in advance.