Lost blackjack - get another or get an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Oct 11, 2007.


get iPhone tomorrow, or another Blackjack and wait for new iPhone?

  1. Blackjack

    2 vote(s)
  2. iPhone

    41 vote(s)
  1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    I'm really bad when it comes to buying things... major buyers remorse.

    I hear rumors of an updated iPhone coming within the next couple of months just before thanksgiving/christmas, but I kinda doubt it.

    Should I wait for this "new" iPhone and just get another Blackjack through insurance, or buy the iPhone tomorrow?

    P.S. - even if the update is a 16 gig, it's totally worth waiting for IMO, I would love the extra memory.
  2. TheotherJoseph macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

    The first thing you need to do is check out the features of the iphone and compare them to the blackjack to make sure the iPhone will serve your needs.
  3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    Already done, I know the phone will not only suit me as the blackjack did, but suit me better.
  4. TheotherJoseph macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

    Now go out and get your iPhone and enjoy it.
  5. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2007
    There will not be an updated iPhone (16Gb) 1-2 months after when it's being launched in new territories under the 8Gb model from November, so it's pointless waiting.
  6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    That's the thing - I feel like if it's going to happen, it's going to coincide with the European release of the phone... Apple likes to leave surprises for the last minute.

    Do any law experts know if a 16gb chip would require FCC approval?

    If so, that means the phone is at the very least six months away, and I'm not gonna wait that long.
  7. njpodder macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2007
    Dude, I totally went through the same dilemma... sort of. I wanted either a blackjack or an iPhone. I was leaning towards the blackjack because of the cheaper cost, until I found out even though it is a smart phone, because of the keyboard, ATT considers it a PDA phone, and the smartphone data plans are not compatible with it, only the PDA data plans. It's rpetty stupid to decide a compatible data plan based o nteh keys on the front of the phone rather than the software it is running, but whatever. In any case, I was going to pay like $50 for the blackjack, and then have to pay $40 a month for a data plan vs. the $400 for an iPhone and $20 a month data plan. After two years, the iPhone is cheaper, and if it suits your needs better, then go for it man! I wouldn't bother waiting for the next best one though. You'll find as soon as that one comes out, people will start speculating as to what is coming next, and you may find yourself saying again "Oh, it has 3G now, and in 6 months, it will have 3G and 16 GB??? I'll wait again." I mean, I am making that sh*t up, but point is, just like any piece of technology, they usually start working on the next upgrade at or before launch of the current model.
  8. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    i've been using a 20$ smartphone data plan with my blackjack for the past year

    does anyone know if a memory upgrade requires FCC approval for the iPhone?
  9. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2007
    The next iPhone will have 3G and a possible memory bump, in which case it will require FCC approval for 3G. But it's not going to happen in 2007. Not sure why you're asking this over and over. Apple has already made the mistake of launching the 4Gb and 8Gb models then ditching the 4 to the annoyance of the consumers who bought it. Why risk doing the same thing again to completely new markets who have had time to see/ read the US reaction to the phone ?

    You're likely to see another iPhone in 6 months, end of Q1/Q2 2008. Make your choice today or forever spend eternity waiting on the next revision 'just around the corner'
  10. maestro55 macrumors 68030


    Nov 13, 2005
    Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
    Get the iPhone, you will find that browsing the web and making phone calls and listening to music and all of the above is much better than the Blackjack. I myself looked at the phone, though I ditched it early due to the Windows Mobile OS.
  11. Clyde099 macrumors regular

    Sep 30, 2007
    Windows Mobile is useless. Go with the iPhone.
  12. ocrts macrumors newbie

    Sep 20, 2006
    I've had both, and for me the iPhone is easily a thousand times better. The tactile feel of the BJ keyboard is better than the on-screen iphone kb, but the iphone more than makes up for it in terms of the GUI, web, music, video experience. You can't add (non-web) programs to the iphone w/o hacking (at least at the moment - IMHO, you will eventually), but 95% of what I want is there and executed brilliantly. 100% of what I want is there/available on the BJ, but it's so much harder to use and the experience was typical cell phone frustration.

    So, unless a dedicated kb is an absolute must, go w/the iphone. You'll be happy you did. Don't wait for an update, as it probably won't be coming anytime soon.

    A bit of advice, though. First, get your replacement BJ. Then get it unlocked by calling ATT (search around for the intl customer service number). Then go buy an iphone and activate it. Then sell your unlocked BJ on ebay. You'll probably get about $150 to lessen the sticker shock of the iphone. This is what I did and it's perfectly within AT&T's rules to do so.
  13. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    Got the phone yesterday and I'm positive I made the right choice, it's excellent.

    I was only worried about memory (3G doesn't really phase me, there's wifi everywhere I go nowadays) but I put 1000 of my songs on, a bunch of my pics and still have 3 gigs to go! I may be eating my words one I try putting on vids tho...

    thanks for the advice guys.
  14. TurboSC macrumors 65816


    Aug 4, 2007
    I didnt' even read a single word of your post and voted based on your thread title... it's pretty obvious. ( iPhone )
  15. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

    Sep 13, 2006
    i already knew it was a MUCH better phone, it was just a question of whether or not a new version/memory bump was coming soon.
  16. Telp macrumors 68040


    Feb 6, 2007
    check to make sure the iphone has what you want. If it has what you want, i would go with the iphone.
  17. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I have the BlackJack and iPhone(got the BlackJack for free after rebate, and then bought an iPhone a few months later :D)

    Having used both, I can easly saw the iPhone is the better phone. The camera is better, the OS is much better, media support is better. The lack 3rd party apps isn't an issue for me, but its something to think about.

    I have both, and I never use my BlackJack, always use my iPhone.

    Get the iPhone
  18. btallada9870 macrumors regular

    Jul 16, 2007
    iphone. blackjacks are so hard to navigate i think. i think this is the case for all windows mobile devices.

Share This Page