Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
So I jailbroke 4.3.3 today and everything went without a hitch, except for some reason I am now unable to connect to AT&T. From what I understand this has something to do with the checkbox that says "activate phone" in pwnagetool. I left it at whatever the default was (i think checked) and now my phone is F'ed. Is there any way at all to fix this without having to make a new ipsw and redo this entire thing?

And for future reference, am I supposed to check that box or leave it unchecked? I am on AT&T, official, no unlock. Thanks in advance.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
maybe simple mode is best for you and the box should be left unchecked for the next time.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I did the same stupid thing.

According to the Internet instructions they wanted
you on "Expert Mode."

So, I jailbroke 4.3.3 using PWNG TOOL and had no
idea that there was a carrier activation selection.

Phone now jailbroken but no service.

I will go and re-jailbreak the phone.

Question: Do I have to restore the iphone and then
re-jailbreak or can I just re-jailbreak?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Pwnage tool's firmware includes the ios and jb in one package. Once you install the custom firmware, no extra JBing is necessary.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
yeah I ended up making a new firmware file. I was under the impression that hacktivation was disabled by default, but my mistake for not double checking. Looks like the only way to undo this is to re-jb with pwnage.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
yeah I ended up making a new firmware file. I was under the impression that hacktivation was disabled by default, but my mistake for not double checking. Looks like the only way to undo this is to re-jb with pwnage.

Why are you using pwnage tool of you are an ATT customer and don't need unlock? Pwnage tool is specifically to keep old baseband for unlocks.

You could use standard software from apple and use Redsn0w if you do not need to keep an old baseband.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
Why are you using pwnage tool of you are an ATT customer and don't need unlock? Pwnage tool is specifically to keep old baseband for unlocks.

You could use standard software from apple and use Redsn0w if you do not need to keep an old baseband.

I don't need an unlock, but I like to keep my baseband unlockable so that down the road it will sell for more. It just so happens that I've never updated it and it remains at 1.59.00. Also I preserve the baseband regardless of what software, I just like pwnage because it works every time without problems.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Okay...still new at this...at least with PWNAGE TOOL.

So, I have a jailbroken phone that was done so without
selecting carrier activation and thus, I have no ATT signal.

The question was, do I need to do a total restore of the
iPhone using iTunes and then rejailbreak using PWNAGE TOOL?

This was the answer....

Pwnage tool's firmware includes the ios and jb in one package. Once you install the custom firmware, no extra JBing is necessary.

Does this mean I simply connect the phone to iTunes,
press the <ALT> key while pressing RESTORE and locate
the custom IPSW file that PWNAGE TOOL originally made?

If that is the case, how do I tell it this time to enable
carrier activation?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No need to restore the phone when using pwnage.
If you're using AT&T, you dont want to check carrier activation; that is for people on non-authorized iPhone carriers like t-mobile.
You use option+restore in iTunes.

I really suggest a tutorial from iclarified. They show how to use pwnage and go through it step by step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.