lost contacts when synching iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Brian, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Mr Brian macrumors newbie

Just sync iphone with itunes on my pc and have lost all contact on iphone. Any ideas on how I can recover them? Thx:(

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

try to see if you can find a windows contacts or outlook on your computer, these are most likely to hold the contacts. but for next time, when you plug ur iphone in, go to the info tab, and scroll all the way to the bottom, and make sure that replacing iphone contacts is unchecked.

3. dainejhone macrumors newbie

Well, I've loved my iPhone up until now. I even loved how easy it sync'd to my MacBook Pro. But today when I plugged in my sync cable I got a pop up window, that I must admit didn't seem very OSX like, and it said that I was about to modify over 5% of my contacts and did I want to proceed. Well, I did and presto, it cleaned out my address book on my MacBook Pro. Oh, then I ejected my iPhone and then reconnected, hoping to get the contacts off my phone and back into Address Book. I then got the same 5% warning window and it said I was going to add 2 contacts to my address book. Well, great I said okay, and guess what, it wiped out all the contacts on my iPhone with only 2 contacts. I got to admit I just felt like I could cry. How could Apple, which I'm a loyal follower, allow something like this to happen. I guess I have to high of expectation?
    Can anyone help me recover my deleted contacts in Address Book.

Thanks

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restore from a backup and next time make sure you merge contacts. For safety make sure you make a dummy contact in the Address Book before doing the sync or whichever one (iPhone or Address Book) doesn't have contacts.

5. Mr Brian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, tried going into itunes and clicking on iphone and do a restore, but it still did not restore my contacts. I have found my contacts in my outlook express address book but am not sure how to get them back into the iphone. When I sync the iphone no contacts move across, but it says sync completed. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears/eyes. :)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you restored from a backup, then that means you must have backed up the "no contacts" iPhone. Try restoring from an earlier backup. Outlook Express is not supported, but you should be able to export the contacts to Outlook or import from Outlook. Then sync with Outlook.