Lost data in Excel 2008!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newconvert14, Dec 6, 2010.

1. newconvert14 macrumors newbie

I have just done something incredibly stupid and hope that someone may have a solution. I have been working on a spreadsheet for the past 4 hours and saving regularly. As I saved, the following message popped up:

"Some content in Name.xls may not be saved because it is not compatible with the Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls) file format. Do you still want to save the workbook in this format?

To save the workbook in a new format and preserve all content, click No, and then on the Format pop-up menu, click Excel Workbook (.xlsx). To save the workbook in the current format and remove all incompatible content, click Yes."

Somehow I managed to not read the popup properly and just went ahead and saved (clicked "yes"). I then closed the spreadsheet and now all the work from the past 4 hours is gone.

Is there any way to recover it?

Thanks so much!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you're really lucky Time Machine may have some of it. Otherwise this is a lesson on why you should save frequently.

3. newconvert14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Lost data in Excel 2008!! Please help!

I am scratching my head as to why this happened, i.e. what was the compatibility issue? Yesterday I was saving regularly (with those same popups), as I was today. All I have been doing is entering data and pasting data from another file. Seems that yesterday everything saved fine and today, not a single item saved.