Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Hi geniuses,
I recently lost some files on a 1tb seagate external drive.
The corrupt seagate drive is attached to my mac mini by USB(2). It asks for the password. The first time it is rejected. The second time it works, but the disk never mounts.
An IT shop in Tottenham Court Rd tried to retrieve the information but what they gave me isn't recognisable as my work. Instead it is a series of folders within folders*, two of which are Gzip files so I'm hoping they hold the files I need.
I downloaded CleanGeeker to unpack the Gzips but I'm getting an error 'Unarchive error or password error, try again!'
I may have just wasted £30 on CleanGeeker but more importantly, does anybody have any ideas how I might retrieve my lost files?
Many thanks in advance
Jan

*(The breadcrumb trail for the shop retrieval is
Elements (name of the drive they copied to)/Recovered data 01-20 10_25_17/Extra files/Tag/Others/GZIP compression file (there are two gzip files in this folder). None of these names or folders mean anything to me.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If the directory of a drive is shot (and perhaps other things can cause this, also) file recovery usually doesn't include the actual names of the files.

I assume the shop you visited removed the drive from the original housing to connect it via a known good cable?

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
Sadly this data retrieval process is expensive and uncertain. I know some have had success with Disk Drill but in the end it just highlights the fact that one copy of anything is just not enough.

janlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
If the directory of a drive is shot (and perhaps other things can cause this, also) file recovery usually doesn't include the actual names of the files.

I assume the shop you visited removed the drive from the original housing to connect it via a known good cable?

Hi Brian, I'm not sure that they did physically remove it. I did ask because they gave it back to me intact and I'm sure they said they used 'special software'. Is that something else I can try do you think? Can you recommend anywhere??
[automerge]1580086233[/automerge]
Sadly this data retrieval process is expensive and uncertain. I know some have had success with Disk Drill but in the end it just highlights the fact that one copy of anything is just not enough.

Hi, Disk Drill sounds physical - is that what Brian was talking about?
They charged £130 for whatever they did but refunded me because, as far as I know, they havent recovered anything useful from it.
Absolutely one copy is not enough! My mistake was thinking that timemachine was backing up my mac AND external drive. I think it was but I can't restore anything from it because the mac now can't see it. Lesson learned but I'd still like to see what recovery options remain.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I was just thinking that to eliminate the possibility that the housing or electronics are causing any issues they might have taken the drive out and used a good connector.

Disk Drill is a file recovery application.

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
Hi Brian, I'm not sure that they did physically remove it. I did ask because they gave it back to me intact and I'm sure they said they used 'special software'. Is that something else I can try do you think? Can you recommend anywhere??
[automerge]1580086233[/automerge]

Hi, Disk Drill sounds physical - is that what Brian was talking about?
They charged £130 for whatever they did but refunded me because, as far as I know, they havent recovered anything useful from it.
Absolutely one copy is not enough! My mistake was thinking that timemachine was backing up my mac AND external drive. I think it was but I can't restore anything from it because the mac now can't see it. Lesson learned but I'd still like to see what recovery options remain.

It may have been one of the things they tried, it is expensive but I believe there is a trial version. Unfortunately TM does not back up external drives, as you have discovered but it's strange that you can't mount it. How is it connected? It seems like a bit of a coincidence, could the two be connected somehow? If you disconnect it, restart your computer and reconnect it can you see it in Disk Utility?

janlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
It may have been one of the things they tried, it is expensive but I believe there is a trial version. Unfortunately TM does not back up external drives, as you have discovered but it's strange that you can't mount it. How is it connected? It seems like a bit of a coincidence, could the two be connected somehow? If you disconnect it, restart your computer and reconnect it can you see it in Disk Utility?

I can see it in disk utility but it's greyed out. I've just clicked it but it's giving me spinning rainbow pizza which previously it has done indefinitely.
I think the double password thing is interesting - the first time I enter it, it rejects it but the second time it works - that's every time since it's crashed I think. Something to do with it already being mounted? I can see it but not see it - or can't access it anyway. Any thoughts?

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
I have never password protected an External USB HD so as it was connected to a Mac Mini I’m not sure why you would do that. How did you password protect it? I’m assuming it’s not encrypted?

janlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
I have never password protected an External USB HD so as it was connected to a Mac Mini I’m not sure why you would do that. How did you password protect it? I’m assuming it’s not encrypted?

I don't remember how I did it! I did it because it's a portable drive and if it gets lost or stolen, I don't want anyone to be able to access what's on it.
[automerge]1580603135[/automerge]
So I contacted Seagate and have agreed to send them the drive to see what they can do. I figure if anyone can save the data, they can.

janlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Hey, I have double good news!

Firstly, I found my backup files on my timecapsule.

I couldnt see them in time machine because I cant see the faulty external drive but I found a file on my timecapsule called a backupbundle. A right click to 'open with' offered DiskImageMounter. This added a drive to my locations called 'Time Machine Backups'. This revealed a backups folder which held another folder with my mac name and within that, many dated folders inside. I went to the folder dated closest to when my drive broke and recovered all my work folders! Whoop whoop!

Meanwhile, before this good news, I figured if anyone could save the data on the drive, maybe Seagate could as it's a Seagate drive. I found a customer support number via google and spoke to a very helpful guy called Nick who talked me through a quick check via disk utility. Then he talked me through the website to order data recovery (pixel8data.com). I printed off the postage label they emailed me. Took it for free UPS collection from my nearest store and waited 10 days.

I sent them a broken 1tb drive. They sent me back a brand new 2tb drive with all my work recovered on it. (This would normally cost about £400 but it seems there are deals to be had if you ask the right person!). Thank you seagate!

I am now using timemachine backup to timecapsule, plus cloud backup, plus an SSD drive because they have no moving parts and are much sturdier than my previous drive, I am told.

I hope this is helpful to somebody. Don't forget - back up your data and thanks for all your help.
Jan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.